Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Getting into the HVAC industry?

Hello,

I don't know if i posted this is the correct section first off, so an admin can move this topic if they'd like.

I'm 19 years old, i work with a construction company as a laborer.

I really would like to get into the HVAC industry, but from everyone i have asked in the field it's just. "go be a handyman for an hvac company"

How would i even go about getting into the HVAC industry without schooling? I would like to go to school for it, or get an apprenticeship for it.

Would i need schooling for an apprenticeship? How do i go about getting involved in the industry, as far as certifications, or without any sort of certifying? What is the average pay for an HVAC helper?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this, much obliged.

-75mm

Post Likes
    Go to a reputable company in your area and plea your case. That is what I did in 1996
    and thats that.

Tell you wanna help and learn.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Post Likes
    Get into the union apprenticeship program and earn while you learn...
    "If history repeats itself I am so getting a dinosaur"

4. Likes buttwheat liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    Go to a reputable company in your area and plea your case. That is what I did in 1996
    and thats that.

Tell you wanna help and learn.
    Okay, i was thinking of doing this. But, say i apply to a big company and tell them i have experience?

What sort of wages will i be pulling in without schooling?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrdworkingacguy View Post
    Get into the union apprenticeship program and earn while you learn...
    What is a union apprenticeship program? Does this require a GED, i have no high school education. I reckon i won't be able to do anything without a GED, correct?

Post Likes
    Pipe fitter Union. I live in Arizona and we have the UA local 469...I would assume most if not all states have a UA Local somewhere...

Post Likes
    Pipe fitter Union. I live in Arizona and we have the UA local 469...I would assume most if not all states have a UA Local somewhere...
    I live in virginia, it's a right to work state. We don't believe in unions. LOL

Post Likes
    So is Arizona and we have the 469...I wish I would have gone into the union 20 years ago...I would be retiring in 5 to 10 years...

Post Likes
    Internet shows UA local 110 in Virginia...

Post Likes
    Internet shows UA local 110 in Virginia...
    That's a long way from my house, that's down in norfolk. I live right outside of washington DC. Plus they don't do hvac.

I'd rather just have a company pay for my apprenticeship and schooling, baker DC does that. But i'm not sure if i need a GED or not.

I suppose i should just get on with a small company, as a helper. Learn the stuff along the way and do what with that information? Go to a bigger company that will pay better?

I make 12.75 as a laborer, that's not paying the bills

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 75mm View Post
    That's a long way from my house, that's down in norfolk. I live right outside of washington DC. Plus they don't do hvac.

I'd rather just have a company pay for my apprenticeship and schooling, baker DC does that. But i'm not sure if i need a GED or not.

I suppose i should just get on with a small company, as a helper. Learn the stuff along the way and do what with that information? Go to a bigger company that will pay better?

I make 12.75 as a laborer, that's not paying the bills
    Local 110 does hvac. They are a pipe fitters union...that's the hvac trade. I work with a bunch of 110 guys. Moot point as your not local
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Post Likes
    No company is going to pay you a lot at first. You need yor cfc cert for starters.

Post Likes
    I would agree with the UA but you sound kind of pessimistic/defeatist about everything so far
    UA Proud
    The higher your post count the more you know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast