Question for the controls guys

I have EPA certs, and 10 years exp on heat pumps, and split systems as a general maintenance man, and I am starting school in the fall.

With that being said, would it be more beneficial for me to major in Computer networking and focus on Bacnet, Lontalk, etc or enter an HVAC program(which the one offered here does not cover anything to do with controls other than stats?

I've received mixed answers from other guys in the field, but no one that specializes in Building Management Systems.

Any input is appreciated

Thanks

Tough question...I would recommend the HVAC program. I think it's critical to know the how and why things work that you are trying to control in order to be able to control it effeciently and safely.

I doubt you would find a Networking class that will teach BACnet or LONworks. Knowing the basics on networking would be a good start.

That's just my opinion. With the right attitude a guy can prosper and excel with either background. The most important part is ask for help when needed and understand you will never know everything.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Tough question...I would recommend the HVAC program. I think it's critical to know the how and why things work that you are trying to control in order to be able to control it effeciently and safely.

I doubt you would find a Networking class that will teach BACnet or LONworks. Knowing the basics on networking would be a good start.

That's just my opinion. With the right attitude a guy can prosper and excel with either background. The most important part is ask for help when needed and understand you will never know everything.
    and I would try and hook up with a commercial outfit to better understand all the equipment in larger buildings. IMO the better control guys truly understand the equipment their controlling.

i believe that controls can be done by computer geeks, the younger generation can learn that stuff easy!
    most big companies have cheaper labor guys doing most of the controls work ESPECIALLY pulling wire hanging VAV controllers installing transducers, that kind of stuff.
    There is a large controls company in our parking lot, we work with those guys a lot. most of the engineers/programmers dont make very good money.
    There is only one union controls company in our area and over 200 union shops that do not do controls. the one union shop has a non union side and union electricians to pull wire, it is a good shop but you wonder how long they can pay union wages for that kind of work? johnson controls here does not use union guys cor their controls division but guys who make about half!!!!!!!! ahhhhh!!!!!!!!
    I would stick to the mechanical stuff first. we all have to learn controls and usually dozens of brands!

whatever you do good luck!

frank
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!