The old my friend is a tech!

Today I was out on a call for a water heater not working. I got there and the customer asked if I had the parts that he needed, I asked how do you know what u need? Then I got the old " my friend from Florida does this, he was here this weekend (it was a motel), he diagnosed it as a s86 gone bad. I asked the guy " so I don't have to diagnose it, I just need to change the part" he said yes. So against my better judgement I swapped boxes and what do you know still no spark at the pilot assembly. Well it turned out the electrode cable was bad, the tech must not have pulled the cable of the box and checked at the source. Lesson learned never take anyone's word, see it for your self.

I concure...... you never know who was there before you
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

I had a customer that worked as a sheet metal and runner for an HVAC company but lived way out of their area. They all told him his control board was bad. He was so sure they were right that he paid me to put the board on. (He was smart enough to know that he didn't want to be on a ladder, in a closet pulling wires off a board.)

Then he paid me to fix the unit. He would have been a couple hundred ahead to have just let me check it out to start with.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

I usually always verify, even when I finish a job for someone else. I don't know why I didn't check, as I changed the control I even thought to myself "I should have checked this". I guess anyone can mis diagnose something. The problem is I can't go whoops and put it back in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Today I was out on a call for a water heater not working. I got there and the customer asked if I had the parts that he needed, I asked how do you know what u need? Then I got the old " my friend from Florida does this, he was here this weekend (it was a motel), he diagnosed it as a s86 gone bad. I asked the guy " so I don't have to diagnose it, I just need to change the part" he said yes. So against my better judgement I swapped boxes and what do you know still no spark at the pilot assembly. Well it turned out the electrode cable was bad, the tech must not have pulled the cable of the box and checked at the source. Lesson learned never take anyone's word, see it for your self.
    reminds me of the old , i just changed my filters

Lesson learned never take anyone's word, see it for your self.
    Thats one of the best lessons you'll ever learn. I re-diagnose everything, even if one of our techs has been there. Find more mistakes than I'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by hkempf View Post
    reminds me of the old , i just changed my filters
    Or the filter is gone completely, they like to hide the evidence before you get there.

I was told to go out and replace a transformer and 1 of the thermostats on a brand new system our company installed. I decided to check for myself. Found rats nest of wiring, zone dampers not connected, and reversing valve wired to common, blowing fuses. I always check for myself now

Had one yesterday, older lady with son looking in on here or living there I am not sure.

"My son says it neds to be replaced. We took the fuses to Home Depot and they are good and the power is on. It had a cover on it and I forgot to take it off. My husband used to do all this before he passed away in January."

You guesses it, most likely, HPS tripped. Reset it and away it went.

I was there a few months back and they had a bad timer board in a Pulse. The son was going to do that to, since he "knew" what he was doing. Got tools picked up and they decided to have me do it.

Guess he is not quite the HVAC guy he or they think. :-) :-)

I diagnose myself, unless customer insists otherwise. Once the part goes in, it is theirs though and they are informed of that upfront!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

He bought the s86, I just let him think his friend was right.
    This winter I had a customers son pull the ignitor out of the boiler and when I got there he told me what to do blah blah. I know he must have googled it or something because as I was working he asked my name, pretty soon he say "nice deer" I'm thinking what? Turns out he is on my Facebook page checking out all my info and stuff lol.
    I had a family friend take apart his old crane boiler and wire the relay wrong or not at all I should say, pump just ran steady. He told me he used to be a tech awhile ago. I had two wires in my hand and said do you remember we're these go? Long story short he told me they were for the evap coil for ac, instead of laughing at him I just agreed lol.

Ive had that happen to me before on a Carrier GT Chiller.
    Facillities manager asked me if I had the "TXV" with me when I showed up.

TXV ? First time call out at this location. I said why would I have a TXV with me ?

He said we told your company to get their guy to pick one up for the chiler. One of his guys troubleshooted it of course.

I said their is nothing wrong with the " TXV" . He said how do you know that and I said it doesn't use TXVs it uses EXVs.

I told him I would need to troubleshoot the chiller on my own before I gave him any recomendations for repairs and I dont buy parts based on another persons diagnoses.

Turned out it was the suction temp and saturation suction temp sensors as it most always is when a EEV doesn't feed correctly.