Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation

My 13 year old 4 ton 8 SEER Trane system went out 3 weeks ago. My house is 2300 sqft, brick, one story and in Dallas. I opted to use this opportunity to replace rather than repair this system. Long story short, I selected a reputable vendor and chose a Trane XL16i 5 ton system and XV80 furnace. The vendor performed a load calculation and advised that the home was on the edge of a 5 ton system, and he beleived a 5 ton system would cool the home better.
    The install was started on a Monday morning and due to install issues did not finish until that Friday. The install issues varied from a miswired thermostat and a miswired furnace to a defective molex plug on the outdoor units fan.
    Fast forward to 2 weeks later. The system has yet to adequately cool the house. If we set the thermostat to 75, the AC can only maintain at best 79-80 degrees. This seems to be the case regardless of temp. When we adjust the thermostat to 72 at night, the system can only reach 72 at about 3 to 4 am in the morning.
    My question is, is this typical performance, or is there something seriously wrong with the install? I lean toward the install/hardware since we have had so many issues, but also other comparable age homes with older systems can maintain a great comfort level that this unit has never touched. Further, the old system outperformed this system hands down (which I was told it would be quite the opposite).

Any input or advice you could provide on this subject would be much appreciated.

Call 'em back, something ain't right.
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Unhappy horrible performance

is you duct work sized properly? sounds like you duct is oversized for the new more efficient unit

was a load calculation done? over sized i would say. do you have a lot of glass in your house? unit will short cycle if over sized. sounds like there are a lot of issues here.

did the company show the load calculation?

All of the above and I'm guessing the low air flow made them short the refrigerant charge.

The duct work was not changed from the old to the new system. The crux of it is that the old system performed better than the new system. I never saw the load calculation (shame on me). The techs are coming out tomorrow to take another look, and they are bringing the load calculation. I indicated that obviously this hasn't gone well since the beginning, and I'll be looking for a new company if they don't remedy the situation this time. Any additional ideas would be fantastic.

if they can't figure it out ask for a trane factory rep. that's a nice peice of equipment if installed properly. sounds like a changeout gone bad.

Did ya pay em yet!!

Re: horrible performance

Originally posted by cool tech 64
    is you duct work sized properly? sounds like you duct is oversized for the new more efficient unit
    WHAT!!!!

OK....I'm calm....what do you mean by this statement? What data supports this statement? If the ducting is too large (not really a rational statement) for the new 5 ton system, what was it like for the old 4 ton system?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Dip switches set up properly? What design temps were used? 95 is a little low for DFW, IMO.

Many problems start by the homeowner wondering (and often instisting) that their existing equipment is too small. A/C companies are in business to make money and a change out is some pretty good profit. So why argue with the home owner and risk losing the sale to someone else?

I find more often than not the equipment size is NOT the problem but rather the building envelope is super leaky allowing hot attic air to infiltrate the home.

I just found the worse case of all times yesterday. The HO had little short "knee walls" extending up past his normal walls to create a raised ceiling effect. Looked real nice from below but when I shot my laser guided heat gun up at the corner of where the ceiling and wall meet I read 95°F where I normally read in the low 80's at most. Went up in the attic to find ZERO batt insulation in the wall cavity and not only that there was no blocking inside the wall cavity. This allowed air to pass freely down most of the interior walls of the home including the return air wall.

I first noticed this by feeling the interior wall above the return grille & it was HOT to the touch!

This sounds like a case of misdiagnosis and a a/c guy letting the customer and greed influence his decision.

Reality is if the building envelope's air and R-value leaks were addressed the original equipment was probably OVERSIZED instead of undersized
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

I'm a little curious rollo.....

Did you request and pay for a diagnosis from a PERSON that holds a state license?

OR...

Did you request and pay for a diagnosis from a company that employs a license holder but that person that actually held the license didn't perform the service?

OR...

Did you just call for a free estimate and have a salesman show up to price quote you a new system?
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast