Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

410a retrofit, do you txv any piping?

i changed a condensor recently.

i was going to put on a 410a but when i looked in the indoor coil, the liquid line was only about 6" long on the inside and against the door , the suction was about 3" before it left the coil.

the copper (both) came out of the coil about 3" then a 90-degree drop downward.

the piston was in a fitting right at the coil sheet metal wall.

if i put in a txv it would have been right in front of the coil access.

i decided i might get myself into some trouble so i explained it to HO and slapped on an R22 condensor.

anyways, my question for you retrofit pros is, are you able to make the txv retrofit happen in any situation?

Yes. You can take your piston out of the fitting and then put it back together. Weld on a txv outside the coil, insulate the liquid line out of the txv AND the txv body itself because it will probably sweat and drip water on whatever is under it.

perfect info , thanks

We don't reuse coils that have had 22 in them on 410 outdoor units. In the rare event the HO won't do it right, we will do a dry unit. But those are few & far between.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    We don't reuse coils that have had 22 in them on 410 outdoor units. In the rare event the HO won't do it right, we will do a dry unit. But those are few & far between.
    I thought armstrong had the "honkeytonk horsesh**" (named by myself) method of cleaning evap coils?

Seriously, don't try and use a coil that has had r-22 in it, for 410.

If you want a txv, you should be able to throw it on. Be creative.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

i watched you guys argue about 410a retrofits, 'what's the best way to flush?' , ...now that i told a customer i'd put on a 410a condensor, now you're saying don't do it.

the HO insists on doing only the condensor now and claims they could be ready to replace everything else in a few months.
    if i slap on an r22 it would be a waste.

...to be honest, i don't trust the 410a, even when everything is proper

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    i watched you guys argue about 410a retrofits, 'what's the best way to flush?' , ...now that i told a customer i'd put on a 410a condensor, now you're saying don't do it.

the HO insists on doing only the condensor now and claims they could be ready to replace everything else in a few months.
    if i slap on an r22 it would be a waste.

...to be honest, i don't trust the 410a, even when everything is proper

I don't think anyone is arguing against a 410a unit.

You'll be tough to find someone here willing to put a 410a unit, on a coil that was used with r-22.

When we say flush, most are speaking specifically about the lineset only.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

i called totaline and they told me "yeah no problem, just put on a txv"
    later i called Rheem and they said "we don't recommend it , but everyone is doing it"

oh well, i hope this doesn't turn into a mess

speaking of flushing linesets. Had someone tell me that they flush with r-22 and follow with nitro on a full change out to 410a. Theory being that the 22 would push most of the oil and nitro would get the rest. Sounds pretty sketchy. What does everyone think is the best. Not counting a new lineset.

...with the 13 SEER equipment the coils are so cheap it's not even worth the risk

I've put 410A condensers on oils that had been R22 systems. blow them out like I do the line set, put on a R410A TXV, vac and check charge like normal.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I've put 410A condensers on oils that had been R22 systems. blow them out like I do the line set, put on a R410A TXV, vac and check charge like normal.
    ive been doing the same thing with no problems. i even have one operating on an old 10 seer evap. that is holding its own in this 112 deg. weather.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    How do you know your hitting all tubes, and not missing a circuit?

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast