Fool me once......

Fool me five times. Some people never learn. Just got back from a call for a guy I take care of after the fact it seems. I have checked some of his rehabs done by others. Condensing units discharging under stairway in confined space. Another one had a 8x12 trunk for about 1400 sq ft 2nd floor fed from basement. Found this after the whole basement was finished.

Now on to his home. He has some Spacepak type made in Canada unit I have not seen with variable speed motor and electric heat coils. I am guessing that the return air is supposed to be laid out similar to Space Pak. About six feet max of approx 18" insulflex to one central r/a.

Partial list of what I found.
    Secondary pan drain capped with overflow switch so cocked out of line it would never shut off the unit.

Five ton txv coil with 3 1/2 ton condensor. (now 3 ton compressor)

Two 10" insulflex returns to 12x12 r/a grilles. One run is twenty feet with kinks.

3 1/2 ton compressor replaced in warranty with 3 ton non oem Kulthorn recip. compressor. No dryer to be seen.

Unit so overcharged the compressor often will not even start!

Four year old coil with stainless pan leaking water from two corner seams.

Now what? I told him I will try and save the condensing unit.

Everytime I come across someone's frankenstein ac install, the first thought that comes to mind is I could make this work, a little tweak here, and a little tweak there...., then I remember all those I should of known better moments standing is the bose's office explaining that I was just trying to to the guy a good deed. Then the reply back is no good deed goes unpunished. Hand him an estimate to do the job right the first time and walk away from the repair.

Agree with William, trying to patch up someone else's botched up install gets you directly involved in ....yep....a botched up install. Any any future problems suddenly become your problem since you've now touched the system. Your company will then become involved with this customer's satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Agree with William, trying to patch up someone else's botched up install gets you directly involved in ....yep....a botched up install. Any any future problems suddenly become your problem since you've now touched the system. Your company will then become involved with this customer's satisfaction.
    I told him the air handler has to go. I don't care if it's only three years old. It's some odd ball Energy-mizer unit made in Canada with a non functioning web site and little help from the emails. The rep wouldn't even answer the question about the returns without a model number and # of supplies. The stainless drain pan is leaking (not overflowing) plus I steer away from electronic motors. Also I have no clue who even sells the stupid parts.

I know for a fact that the returns are wrong as well if this is anything like the Space Pak and Unico systems. I need to get a register count as they want 6-7 runs per ton. If I can save the supply side it will be a huge plus.

I'm hours and hours into a similar hack job now. Kinda wish I didn't touch it. When he gets the bill tomorrow he's gonna realize he should have just replaced the mix matched heat pump with a properly matched ODU for the nice variable AH he has. Corny off brand HP had no low pressure cut out, cap tube blew, compressor ran until it fried, super restrictive filter/lousy fit blew the ECM motor and caked the coil with dirt, plugged TXV and a fried contactor. No joke. It was hard for me to believe it until I actually laid eyes on the broken parts. This was the most catastrophic failure I have ever seen on a resi split. The guy just left the unit in heat mode and thought it was working because it was producing heat via the strip heater. Total bummer.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman