Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    If all the cases are icing up my guess is the case with your t-stat is getting to cold causing it to ice up... Then the other cases get to cold because your t-stat is calling but never satisfying causing them to ice up...

Need to have a tech set them all with around 6-8 degrees superheat.

He said it's a M1A1 case. I'm seeing on kysor's web site it is a
    Single deck meat, Air defrost, Metal front. It does say reverse air defrost and mentions defrost termination at 45*.
    Where is the temperature bulb located ? Yes 6-8* superheat setting.

Might want to have your tech pull and clean the honeycomb diffuser if it hasn't been done in a couple of years. It won't hurt anything.

Is it all the cases icing up or just one?

To confirm this is a single compressor and not a parallel correct ?

all the case ice up - one with tstat more because its running so cold

Right you need to start with that case and the rest might be all set.
    Sounds like its getting to cold.

Thermostat setting per Kysor is Cut-Out @ 22* & Cut-In @ 26* provided the sensor bulb is in the discharge air stream.

i measure air discharge with the laser pointer maybe i should get a better meter.

mainly i think i have a problem with air flow - as it is icing up the air flow gets lowered as a result the product temp is not maintained. The air coming out might be good cold air at 22* but the flow is not there to get the product cold enough.

i have gotten estimate to install hot gas defrost. do you guys recommend i go ahead with it and hope it clears up the defrost probelms??

You've gotten some good advice and I'll take it a step farther.

#1. All cases should be within a couple degrees of one another. Proper superheat adjustments should take care of this, but other problems CAN cause uneven temperatures and throw your tech a curveball.

#2. Tell them to stop fooling around with their opinions and set it the way that Kysor says to set it. The manufacturer knows how their case is going to operate.

#3. Let's get back to this humidity issue. IIRC, you stated that humidity is 45. 45 WHAT? Degrees DP, % RH, Apples? Without a label identifying units, a number is, effectively meaningless. Get your tech to provide a humidity reading in Degrees Dewpoint. That number MUST be below 55 degress or you are chasing your tail messing with case settings.

#4. Are you ABSOLUTELY certain that the product being placed in the case is cold? I have lost count of the calls I've been on that the manager blames the case for their product holding problems and I've gone and found the meat cutting room shut down and running at 65-70 degrees, 150# of meat sitting there getting warm as the cutter sits outside smoking and the cooler is barely under 40 degrees to boot.

Yeah, it's the case.

If you have a regular service provider, call the service manager and have a discussion with them about this problem. Having service invoices in hand to clearly document when they were there, how many times they were there and how long this problem has been ongoing will help. Demand that they send their top guy out to resolve your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dilvala View Post
    i measure air discharge with the laser pointer maybe i should get a better meter.

mainly i think i have a problem with air flow - as it is icing up the air flow gets lowered as a result the product temp is not maintained. The air coming out might be good cold air at 22* but the flow is not there to get the product cold enough.

i have gotten estimate to install hot gas defrost. do you guys recommend i go ahead with it and hope it clears up the defrost probelms??
    IR thermometers are OK for measuring temp. Not my choice, but adequate for store personnel.

Low airflow can cause ice ups.

HG defrost is great, but I'm not a fan for fresh meat cases. I think that it shocks the product and causes damage, but that is just my opinion.

Are you watching your product load lines marked on the case ?
    If you don't have reversing fans that could make a difference. Do the fans stop in defrost mode ?

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Demand that they send their top guy out to resolve your problem.
    I'm thinking this should be an easy fix Are there that few of GOOD refrigeration techs out there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast