I have an 18-yr old 2.50 ton 10 Seer R22 split system with a 3 ton evap coil and a 75,000 BTU gas furnace blower-air handler in the attic. The new 3 ton 13 Seer condensor and new evap coil would be R22 so I am not trying to mix with new R410? refrigerant.

My question is: Do I really need to change the line set out or can I use the existing lineset? I know there is different line set sizing for the new systems. The line set is about 60 feet long and most is in the attic but some does travel down behind the brick outside wall. The new lineset would have to be run on the outside of the house. Thanks in advance for your help.

Originally posted by rookie123
    I have an 18-yr old 2.50 ton 10 Seer R22 split system with a 3 ton evap coil and a 75,000 BTU gas furnace blower-air handler in the attic. The new 3 ton 13 Seer condensor and new evap coil would be R22 so I am not trying to mix with new R410? refrigerant.

My question is: Do I really need to change the line set out or can I use the existing lineset? I know there is different line set sizing for the new systems. The line set is about 60 feet long and most is in the attic but some does travel down behind the brick outside wall. The new lineset would have to be run on the outside of the house. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Do what has to be done and make it right. Don't cut corners or it will come back to bit you in the end. Will it work? Probably, but do the best and what is in everybodys best interest.
    The larger linesets are to achieve the SEER rating, larger suction cavity(line set). If you look into the condenser, you'll see that the suction lines typically go down a size from the service valve to the compressor. I just did one that required a 1 1/8 on the suction line from the air handler and once it passed into the compressor, dropped to 7/8 to the compressor.

Try fireplace.

While I realize this is not a refrigerant conversion I have been very successful with using the fireplace chase to run a line set to the crawlspace or out the side if it is near the existing unit. I requires 2 men and some ingenuity along with proper safety measures but it works well. There is about a foot on the sides of a wooden fireplace chase with a prefab fireplace in it. BE CAREFUL.

I would be more concerned about the Metering device than the line set sizing. your 3 ton 10 seer probably had a 3/4 suction line. at worst you wil loose 1-2% of capacity. If you don't have a TXV tou will have worse problems. Including reduced compressor warranty

If the old line set is the correct size, no problem.

Your thread title says old coil. In your post you say new coil, which is it?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

There is absolutely no reason to replace the lineset unless it is the wrong size copper or you just like spending extra money.