Thread: A/C condenser turns off randomly

Post Likes

A/C condenser turns off randomly

I am having a repetitive problem with my upstairs A/C unit. It is a ~12 yr old York HLRA048S06D 4-ton 10 seer (?) unit. When it works, it blows crisp cool air in the 100+ temps we've been having here in TX. When it doesn't, the interior fan continues to turn on when needed, but the outside condenser unit does not turn on, and the upstairs does not cool. For the last week, it seemed to be limited to nighttime when it shut off, but this weekend, it was off for long periods during the day as well, turning back on randomly. I noticed this weekend as well, in the mornings when I turned it on manually to check, the fan was not spinning and there was a buzzing sound coming from the unit. I left it on, with the interior fan blowing and the condenser not on. Later on though, it started to cool once again.

I had an A/C technician come out to check on it in the afternoon, but by the time he came, it started working again, and as it was blowing cold air he could not diagnose anything wrong. The condenser fan spins freely, no breakers are tripped. He didn't go upstairs into the attic to check on the furnace, was there anything else he should have done? Am I able to bring in a technician again even though it's random when it goes on or off?

Thanks

Post Likes
    The buzzing sound is a solid clue. A good technician can usually nail an intermittent issue down through a handful of checks. Blowing cold air is not a diagnosis. Sounds like there are several things that he should have done that didn't happen. Definitely get another tech to take a look at the system. Next time you find the unit inoperable, turn off the T-stat. You may be damaging very expensive components that can easily be saved.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Post Likes
    Thanks, I have a home warranty so I plan on having someone different come out to diagnose. Is there anything specific they should be looking for, with an intermittent buzzing noise? Everything's intermittent which adds to the frustration.

Post Likes
    One week later and while it has been shutting off more often, it is still random. I did capture the buzzing/screeching noise - I wonder if any pros here might recognize what it could be. My home warranty company is not allowing me to use another tech (unless I pay another service fee), so I'm stuck with the original one for now, and I wonder if he can diagnose based on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJp8Q...ature=youtu.be

Post Likes
    Internal relief is giving your compressor a stroke, don't run it without the fan turning, you will just cause more damage.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    hello the condenser fan is not running....... why would you let the poopr compressor run with no fan.....make no sense
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    That's just it - it makes that noise, stops, then works fine with the fan on later on. This doesn't always happen when it comes on, only some of the time. Other times, it doesn't make that noise, it just doesn't turn on when the t-stat turns on.

Is that noise for sure the compressor?

Post Likes
    SHUT IT OFF!!!!!! It's crying for help!
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    get the fan working........ its gonna blow up soon
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Looks like they have installed a incorrect fan motor. Imo.

Post Likes
    a heat pump..... its a 100 outside everywhere....... oh i see it thinks its winter...lol

Post Likes
    Huntinwalkerstyle

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Your post has been deleted.

Post Likes
    With the pitch on the fan, that's looks like it should be an 825 rpm motor, is it?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Huntinwalkerstyle, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    With the pitch on the fan, that's looks like it should be an 825 rpm motor, is it?
    I will have to check. To my knowledge, all parts are original from when it was installed when the house was built, with nothing replaced (12 yr old unit). The fan does work, and works well - this noise does not happen all the time. As described in earlier posts, this occurs randomly and clears up, and the whole unit works - until it doesn't.

I would shut the whole unit down and keep it off until the tech comes out. The problem is that the last time I did this, when he came out the unit turned on fine, and he wasn't able to diagnose anything wrong. I did not have this recording last time, so I will have to play it for him the next time I call him out. Not sure if he will be able to diagnose based on a video and a working unit - as pros, would you guys be able to work with a customer who has this issue?

Post Likes
    Tell your tech to check one thing first

and I hinted to what Mr bill posted.

And you will have the mysterious problematical issued.

Post Likes
    High or low pressure switch cutting condensed unit off either because of a leak or high head. Not enough info.

Post Likes
    Quick update - finally got it fixed, turns out the capacitor needed replacement. It sporadically did not provide enough for the fan to start, in turn leaving the compressor on, making that noise? I think that makes sense, if I remember correctly from what the tech said.

Anyways, appreciate everyone's help here. Great thing you guys are doing, helping us non-experts in AC.

Post Likes
    i have seen

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, questions, or commentary in other peoples threads here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Last edited by beenthere; 07-25-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Message

Post Likes
    captaincompressor, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in