Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 14

Thread: Boiler job

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    3,585

    Boiler job

    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341765974.185646.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  55.0 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341766000.787420.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  40.3 KB

    Did this maybe a year ago.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    4,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341765974.185646.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  55.0 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341766000.787420.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  40.3 KB

    Did this maybe a year ago.
    Hard to see, but looks good.

    The only thing I'd say, is your air scoop. I know you don't have alot of room there, trying to keep everything nice and tight.
    Unfortunetly, your inlet from your air scoop should have 20" or so of straight pipe before the scoop, so you have laminar flow, instead of turbulent flow. It helps with air removal.

    Since you didn't have the space to gain your 20", I would suggest an enhanced air seperator. They generally have 0" clearance (some even come in on the botom), and are only around 2x the price (sounds like alot, but keep in mind how cheap the scoop is.)

    Diffenetly plenty of ball valves, which rocks. Especially for the exp tank.


    How did you like the triangle tube? I favor them over the lochinvar wall hungs.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

    "Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

    "Just get it done son."

    Dad adjusted

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    3,585
    All I have ever put in is traingle tube, we have had such good luck compared to the other design. I no about the 20" rule but man this was a tight one lol, I like the callefi 1" sweat vent less fittings and fit better, I worked for another hvac company that used them only, the current seems to only use the air scoops, to cheap I guess. Thanks I like running pipe and trying to make it look nice.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    3,585
    Oh and I always use way more valves than anyone because I also service, nothing gets me crabbier than an expansion tank with no valve.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    4,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    All I have ever put in is traingle tube, we have had such good luck compared to the other design. I no about the 20" rule but man this was a tight one lol, I like the callefi 1" sweat vent less fittings and fit better, I worked for another hvac company that used them only, the current seems to only use the air scoops, to cheap I guess. Thanks I like running pipe and trying to make it look nice.
    Yeah, the callefi was the one I was thinking of in particular.

    I know how it is about using the scoops though. Gotta use what they provide.

    Beating my head against a wall trying to get them to use them.

    Which, is sad, because we usually go back to rebleed after a month.

    The callefi I used, we never went back
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

    "Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

    "Just get it done son."

    Dad adjusted

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    3,585
    Long story short my boss just started getting into resi. I've always used to good air vents but. My boss one day tried to convince us how good the caleffi ones are (we knew) but nevers supplies them lol. I'm sure you know this trick for getting air out, put a purge valve on return of loop, pressurize loop and blow it out of a garden hose, repeat till no bubbles. The valve has to be last I'n line to keep water from backfeeding.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    4,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Long story short my boss just started getting into resi. I've always used to good air vents but. My boss one day tried to convince us how good the caleffi ones are (we knew) but nevers supplies them lol. I'm sure you know this trick for getting air out, put a purge valve on return of loop, pressurize loop and blow it out of a garden hose, repeat till no bubbles. The valve has to be last I'n line to keep water from backfeeding.
    Yep. Purging station. Gotta do those on just about every infloor job we do, and it works great.

    The reason we have to go back, is because as you run the boiler, you heat the air out of the water. Which is the point of the air seperator.

    Except a scoop sucks when your dealing with 100% fresh water. Alot gets past the scoop.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

    "Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

    "Just get it done son."

    Dad adjusted

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    3,585
    Good point, I guess I've had that before too. Some of the really hacked systems can be a nightmare to get the air out. The houses from the 50s-70s seem to be the worst. The common return and no valves are the normal for them it seems.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a boiler room
    Posts
    6,914
    Good piping work.

    That Taco primary loop pump is hanging motor down, they should only be installed with the motor shaft horizontal, never vertical down.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    3,585
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Good piping work.

    That Taco primary loop pump is hanging motor down, they should only be installed with the motor shaft horizontal, never vertical down.
    Ya I see that, I'm thinking I rotated it because I wouldn't do that, changing motor would suck. I hope I did anyways none of these pics were finished pruduct. When I sweat flanges I have pump in loose, no gaskets just for ease.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    17
    x2 for the caleffi air eliminator

    nice clean plumb pipe sir

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    3,585
    Sir I'm just a kid lol, when I got into this trade a plumber my master was very picky, now I try to be picky but also get the job done in a timely fashion. Thanks though I really take pride in a nice pipe job.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    17
    when you do demonstrate clean workmanship you deserve to be called 'sir' by your peers, no matter what your age is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event