+ Reply to Thread

Thread: REPLACING REFRIGERANT CONTROLS WITHOUT REMOVING CHARGE

Post Likes

REPLACING REFRIGERANT CONTROLS WITHOUT REMOVING CHARGE

I was looking at a Manitowic service manual today and found this " This is a required in-warranty repair procedure " using a pinch-off tool. I have one but never use it. Anyone out there using one ?

Post Likes
    Manitowoc recommends a pinch-off & re-rounding tool for replacing stuff like the fan cycle or high pressure control. I've used one for years, more often to add service access valves to True units and such.

Here's a past post on that tool:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showpost.ph...32&postcount=5

(The Ritchie P/N is #60665)

Post Likes
    I have a pinch off tool, but have never used it on a live system. Just scrap copper in my Van and when I re-round it, it never resumes it's original round shape...it definitively re-opens the pinch off, just not round.

You able to make them round again Ice?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    I have a pinch off tool, but have never used it on a live system. Just scrap copper in my Van and when I re-round it, it never resumes it's original round shape...it definitively re-opens the pinch off, just not round.

You able to make them round again Ice?
    Mine come out maybe "75% round" which is fine for a pressure control or access valve. The trouble I've seen is the pinch point is weakened and so it may fail due to vibration. I've had good luck with building up the pinch point with a little silphos to stiffen it a bit.

Post Likes
    The first and last time i used my i was trying to remove a condensing unit. On the 1/4" liquid line it would not seal it off. When i cut the line it keep spewing out. I tried to pinch it down more and it ended up cutting it.
    Also are you even a little concerned about welding a charged system ?

Post Likes
    If you have the room I pinch it twice about an inch apart. They never come out round but it can save you a lot of time.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    The first and last time i used my i was trying to remove a condensing unit. On the 1/4" liquid line it would not seal it off. When i cut the line it keep spewing out. I tried to pinch it down more and it ended up cutting it.
    Also are you even a little concerned about welding a charged system ?
    When you braze on an access valve, it's not on the charged side of your pinch-off point...so it's not a problem.

As for adding some braze to build up the re-rounded portion, I don't see that as a particular problem.

I've never cut one off with the pinch-off/re-rounding tool, but I know I've come close...hence the buildup of brazing material suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    If you have the room I pinch it twice about an inch apart. They never come out round but it can save you a lot of time.
    I've done that a couple of times when I can't get the first one to hold for whatever reason. Good tip.

Post Likes
    I use pinch off tools regularly. Lots of tools out there but not all are good for service. I always look for a aset that doesn't touch in the pinch area. Mine round well and have never had a problem. Imperials.

Post Likes
    I actually saw a Manitowoc CVD unit that some hack had replaced the headmaster by using 3 pinch off tools... lame! It wasn't flowing enough during harvest, maybe because pipe only re-rounded 50% or maybe because he used an off the shelf part with 180# set point... Either way that was pretty interesting to see!

I have used pinch off tools a lot for sealed system access. But I don't like to use them on discharge lines like for a rooftop condensing unit because I've been on at least 3 calls where a discharge line access valve broke at the pinched off section.

Anytime I pinch off for a sealed system, once I recover, I cut out the pinch-off section.

Post Likes
    I have used one for years , never had a problem with them, but mainly use them for true boxs and manitiwocs as others have mentioned.

3 pinch off tools to change a headmaster? why didnt' I think of that
    Love makes the world go around but cash pays the bills

Post Likes
    O.K. after seeing your commits here next opportunity i'll give it another go. One more thing comes to mind. Are we not worried about trapped AIR ?

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    I don't know why i didn't think of doing that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    O.K. after seeing your commits here next opportunity i'll give it another go. One more thing comes to mind. Are we not worried about trapped AIR ?
    If Manitowoc wants you to replace in-warranty controls this way, let them worry about the trapped air.

For access valves, I just do a little purge after re-rounding.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    If Manitowoc wants you to replace in-warranty controls this way, let them worry about the trapped air.

For access valves, I just do a little purge after re-rounding.
    Good point icemeister. No problem on the purge if you forget to put to core back in.

Post Likes
    When you braze in access ports on a true or other unit that is full of refrigerant, is there any worry about brazing a part without being able to use nitrogen? Does this cause any problems down the road with "scaling" perhaps clogging a metering device?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyohat View Post
    When you braze in access ports on a true or other unit that is full of refrigerant, is there any worry about brazing a part without being able to use nitrogen? Does this cause any problems down the road with "scaling" perhaps clogging a metering device?
    You can squirt some nitrogen into the fittings before you braze. Even though it is not flowing it will still prevent oxidation. Also the small amount of oxidation created would be blown out by a purge after you opened the pinch. Usually you are talking about less gas than would be in a charging hose. I do question applying heat to the pinch off to dab some braze on it. That would likely produce some acid by breaking down the refrigerant.

Post Likes
    Thanks for your reply bob_scheel.

Post Likes
    Wouldn't applying heat to brazing temperature weaken the copper so that in the end the added brazing alloy gets your strength back to where it would have been if you had just left it alone?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    Wouldn't applying heat to brazing temperature weaken the copper so that in the end the added brazing alloy gets your strength back to where it would have been if you had just left it alone?
    If I was to fold a 1/4" copper tube and open it back up it would be quit weak at the kink. Pretty much what you get with the pinch-off tool. Now if you just welded the kink I would agree with you. Personally I would weld beyond that point. It would be much stronger and no different then any other weld you make.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in