Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Romney

Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    Romney,

Mandates that nearly every resident of Massachusetts obtain a state-government-regulated minimum level of healthcare insurance coverage and provides free health care insurance for residents earning less than 150% of the federal poverty level (FPL).[3] The law was amended significantly in 2008 and twice in 2010.

Governor Romney has a solid record of pursuing gun control measures to control crime and increase safety. He is vocally supportive of the assault weapons ban, supported a waiting period, and supports registration. While Governor he continued Massachusetts's history of gun control advocacy.

In 2002, Mitt Romney stated in a debate that he supported the tough gun laws in Massachusetts and that he believed they help protect us and keep us safe. He vowed not to chip away at those laws.

While in office, Governor Romney supported the Brady bill and a waiting period because it was necessary to complete a background check. More recently, he has stated that with the advent of instant background checks, a waiting period is no longer required.

He stated that his views did not line up with the NRA. After initiating his Presidential campaign in 2007, Governor Romney joined the NRA with a lifetime membership. He asserted in a taped speech that he supported second amendment rights for all legal purposes, including the common defense.

In 2004, the federal ban on assault weapons expired. Before that happened, Governor Romney signed a bill to permanently ban assault weapons in Massachusetts. That same legislation also extended the term of a firearm identification card and a license to carry firearms from four years to six years, granted a 90-day grace period for holders of firearm identification cards and licenses to carry who have applied for renewal, and created a seven-member Firearm License Review Board to review firearm license applications that have been denied. Governor Romney later stated that the legislation was good overall for firearms owners because of these provisions. During the discussion over the ban, Governor Romney stated that assault weapons were not for hunting or self defense, but were instruments of destruction.

Governor Romney has been supportive of the second amendment in the general sense while campaigning for the Presidency in 2012, but continued to support an assault weapons ban in the 2008 elections. Since that time, he has stated that he does not believe that the nation wide assault weapons ban should be re-instituted.

He does not address the issue on his 2012 campaign website.
    As I have stated consistantly, Romney is not a choice I would have considered to run against Obama. If Romney is the best chance to get Obama out of office, then I am all for his becoming president.

As for Romney's political track record, I am hoping that Romney has acted on behalf of his constituents in Massachussetts over acting on his personal beliefs. If that is what Romney has done, he will be the kind of president that allows the States to make their own decisions about issues that I don't believe belong at the federal level anyway. I really don't care if Massachussetts has provisions to pay for abortions as long as there are other states that do not support tax payer funded abortion. Same with gun rights, even though that one is a Second Amendment right. Then again, if people in Massachussetts don't want to be allowed to own guns, fine, as long as I have the freedom to own guns where I live, I could care less about those who don't want to own guns.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    How about Obama showing us a valid birth certificate, how he got his SS #, his college records, medical records, papers written while in college and all the communist front organizations he has belonged to and or attended and all his Muslim ties. Yeah that would be nice lets lay them side by side with an American Romney's records. Thank you, thank you very much
    Romney the person is a citizen whereas his money resides elsewhere. How many accounts do you have in the Caymans?
    Fox News - Rich people paying rich people to tell middle class people to blame the poor.

Quote Originally Posted by netsalt View Post
    Romney the person is a citizen whereas his money resides elsewhere. How many accounts do you have in the Caymans?
    You're making assumptions without any way to verify youy accusations.

What we can criticize Obama for can be verified.

Destroying the economy. Spending beyond any president prior to him and we're getting nothing from it.

Giving tax payers money to bankrupt green energy companies.

Hiding evidence from a Congressional investigation.

The list goes on. I think Obama should stick to the Bane Capital criticisms.

I have an account in Cayman and so do others on this site. So what? Also, why does the finances of a candidate mean so much as long as there are no illegal activities? Have you ever seen Obama's financials?

I have taken it upon myself to decree that anyone who has a foreign bank account is a commie and doesn't deserve to be a dog catcher nevermind president. Kinda like that fake birther thing only different.
    Fox News - Rich people paying rich people to tell middle class people to blame the poor.

I have taken it upon myself to decree that anyone who has a foreign bank account is a commie and doesn't deserve to be a dog catcher nevermind president. Kinda like that fake birther thing only different.
    OKIE DOKE then......

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I have an account in Cayman and so do others on this site. So what? Also, why does the finances of a candidate mean so much as long as there are no illegal activities? Have you ever seen Obama's financials?
    I had an account in the Caymans as I have a place there. My accountant nearly had a heart attack when I told him, and advised me to close it. The reason being that a box has to be checked on your tax returns and that's a very big red flag. Cayman has treaties with the US now where they will give the IRS information on anyone they ask for. These are not secret accounts, if they were why does everybody know about them?
    Today you can get 7 times the interest on a bank account in Spain than you can get here. You can get 3 times more in Cayman. You're going to crucify a guy for taking advantage of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    I had an account in the Caymans as I have a place there. My accountant nearly had a heart attack when I told him, and advised me to close it. The reason being that a box has to be checked on your tax returns and that's a very big red flag. Cayman has treaties with the US now where they will give the IRS information on anyone they ask for. These are not secret accounts, if they were why does everybody know about them?
    Today you can get 7 times the interest on a bank account in Spain than you can get here. You can get 3 times more in Cayman. You're going to crucify a guy for taking advantage of that?
    I have one because I was working there for a while. As you probably know, it is more of a big deal to bring cash into Cayman than it is to bring in drugs. Cayman needs to keep it's massive banking industry as squeaky clean as it can.

I believe you have to put things in perspective. Romney is a smart businessman, as are many on this board. He ran Mass and reacted to problems in a rational way. That he supported gun control is a decision he made because it makes sense in Mass. I don't think anyone can deny that. The same with healthcare. Mass had a huge problem funding Medicaid and Medicare, and the so called Romneycare mostly solved that problem. It was a rational solution for a State problem, much much different than Obamacare.
    Bottom line is do you want a successful businessman running this country or a community organizer who never made a payroll in his life? All the rest is smoke and mirrors. A president who can't run on his record does not deserve a second term.

Well, we seem to have a herd of Romney apologists who are desperately trying to explain away all these secret money finagles. If all of this Romney off-shored, outsourced money is aboveboard then he should have no problem releasing complete tax records.

What is Romney hiding?

How embarrassing are these records?

Will the release of Romney's tax records prove to be embarrassing if not shysterish?

What's the whole story on his father birthed in Mexico?

I mean how suspicious is that?

Mexico.

Is Mitt even a legal citizen?

Automobile elevator?

What kind of elitest monument is that?

Open the vaults Mitt, let the American public see your warts.
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

Chapman Cohen

All that coming from a supporter of one of the most secretive Presidents we've ever had. Obama has chosen to hide a few things too.

Why dont you criticize him ?

The Cayman island thing is just another reminder of how patheric and lost the left is in this country.

Obama and his supporters don't dare mention his record of failure and then then they manufacture iasues like this.

The American public want jobs, not lib talking points.

You guys are desperateand its a lot of fun watching the left squirm and lie.

The American public wants jobs, not abortion talk, voting restrictions, repealing healthcare, reciting the Constitution for days politicians. When is this new breed of conservative actually going to accomplish something other than put on a show for their constituency? With Congressional approval at 17% these tea-baggers are doing a helluvajob. Can't wait to see Robme bend over backwards to serve up some red meat for their votes.

A leader's job is to lead, Obama is not leading. Remember Reagan and Tip O'Neil hashing out deals? Clinton and Gingrich? It's Obama's way or the highway, there is little discussion with the other side and no negotiation.
    Do you realize that without some serious negotiation with the Republican Congress the Bush tax cuts expire Jan. 1, under his watch, and everybody who pays taxes taxes will go up. That will be great for the economy.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast