Trying to find out that if i install a new 14-17 SEER AC unit and new matching unit do i have to replace a 10yr old furance that works to get the 14-17SEER cost saving?

Consolidated Industries HBA100ND5R Install date 10/3/96

Reading from warmair.com

"Q. I would like to replace my old inefficient central air conditioner with a new higher efficiency unit. Do I have to also replace my furnace?

A. The simple answer is NO, you do not have to replace your furnace. If the furnace was sized and has operated properly in the past, there is no need to replace it. The upgrade in air conditioner efficiency is not dependent on your furnace, as long as the outdoor air conditioning condenser and the indoor air conditioning coil are matched for efficiency."

is what warm air stated ture. One contractor told me i can't upgrade pass a 12-13 seer with a 10 year old furance. any higher seer and i need a new furance. who is right???????

Originally posted by firedoghfd

is what warm air stated ture. One contractor told me i can't upgrade pass a 12-13 seer with a 10 year old furance. any higher seer and i need a new furance. who is right???????
    Both right,
    If you a 13 seer a/c then no, you don't have to replace your 10 yr old furnace.

If you want more then 13 seer, yes a new indoor with vs drive can help to produce more.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

since you asked...

Originally posted by firedoghfd
    Consolidated Industries HBA100ND5R Install date 10/3/96

I tell people brand doesn't matter so much. And I believe it. Of course I favor the brand I push, but I don't have anything against the others (more or less).
    But I just have to say it...I think Consolidated furnaces are junk !
    You probably don't use it much. But I would kick it to the curb regardless.
    You will have trouble getting much if any over 13SEER with it.

Unless size limitations require it, ie short basement with a short plenum may need a newer shorter furnace to allow for proper airflow through the newer more efficient TALLER coils.

I know it's tough to swallow... but you can usually save a few hundred bucks on labor by having a new one installed at the time vs having to come back a few years from now and tear an old one out. Also, you'll likely save a bit more money by not using as much fuel or electricity.

But.. it's far from manditory unless there's a major problem with your furnace.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

VETO PRO PAC, The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Testo... you guys rule!