Relaced the thermastat a couple of weeks ago. Got home today and the inside blower was on, but no cold air. Went outside and the A/C wasn't on. Pushed the contactor down manually and it comes on fine. Replaced thermastat, still won't come on unless I manually push the contactor down.
    Any suggestions?

you didnt give enough info for anyone to give you any helpful insight like what kind of unit ,t-stat wiring info or anything like that

I'm sorry. It's an old RUUD Achiever 10.

I guess the choice is, either hold the contactor down until your home is cool, or call a professional and have him determine the problem and fix it....

One is free and the other will cost you.

good luck ;-)

DO YOU HAVE A CONDENSATE PUMP? CHECK AND SEE IF IT'S FULL AND OUT ON THE SAFETY SWITCH. IF NOT, VERIFY THAT YOU HAVE 24 VOLTS TO THE OD CONTACTOR.

Im an HVAC student and learning....with that said I would do what the previous poster said and see if I have 24v to the coil on the contactor. If you have 24v to the coil on the contactor then I would think posibly the coil in the contactor was bad. You can check to see if it is open by removing the 24v control wires and seeing if there is continuity thru the coil.

Let us know what you find....

Originally posted by dayne

Let us know what you find....
    And please don't sue dayne if you accidentely touch 240 volts while snooping where you shouldn't be. Please call a professional whilst you still can!
    The posts and comments made by me are in no way affiliated with any company or organization. They are simply my personal opinions.

Do-It-Yourselfers - not here.

This site is for industry professionals and folks seeking HVAC/R advice and knowledge. Please do not ask for step by step instructions on purchasing, installing or repairing your own HVAC equipment, that is our job and our livelihood. We are generous, but not to a fault.

Questions of this type will not be answered and may be deleted.

I guess Some people couldn't read the rules, When they signed up for this site.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Let him grnd out 24v ,if he has it.grnd it out ,blow up everything on the low voltage circuit.lpc is probally open.If you suggest to take off those two wires on the coil,and that stats calling hes gonna grnd 24v out i guarantee it.then hes gonna wonder why nothing is working.

That's enough.

Time to call a pro.

Thread closed.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.