I have a Dunham Bush SapcePak Blower coil unit model number ESP3036 Series C. It is hooked to a Dunham Bush outside ac unit that is Model 3.6 and is a 3 ton unit using 230 volts ac 60 cylce 1 phase. My ac unit has gone bad but the blower unit is still good. I was told that I can hook and 12 and below Seer rated unit up. The best would be a Seer10 rating. Is this true? My home has the small high CFM 2inch duct work and I don't wish to change that. I have found some 10 Seer units but am not sure. thanks for any input.

With that old of a system I would go for broke and change indoor and outdoor. You'll get a high efficiency system and won't trash your new outdoor unit when the indoor coil develops an undetected leak and you run low on refrigerant.
    The posts and comments made by me are in no way affiliated with any company or organization. They are simply my personal opinions.

Originally posted by theestimator
    With that old of a system I would go for broke and change indoor and outdoor. You'll get a high efficiency system and won't trash your new outdoor unit when the indoor coil develops an undetected leak and you run low on refrigerant.
    So if a new indoor unit developes a leak it won't trash the new outdoor unit why ?

In reality you won't get super high SEER with a HV system.

Eventually the indoor will fail(usually the hotest part of the summer) and you'll have to replace it anyway.

If you do it now at the same time it will cost you alittle less. And save you some money.

That old unit is about a SEER 6 if your lucky, a new unit will be about 11.7 SEER with a 13 SEER condenser.

They will have to add acouple more outlets for the new indoor blower.
    The newer units need more outlets then the old ones did.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by beenthere
    So if a new indoor unit developes a leak it won't trash the new outdoor unit why ?
    Point is which one is more likely to fail in the short term and possibly ruin the new compressor??

And I see you disputed efficiency and then restate it and agree with it.
    The posts and comments made by me are in no way affiliated with any company or organization. They are simply my personal opinions.

Originally posted by beenthere
    Point is which one is more likely to fail in the short term and possibly ruin the new compressor??

And I see you disputed efficiency and then restate it and agree with it.
    Refute the notion that HV systems get high eff. They don't get much above 12 SEER.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?