Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 49
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,070
    This may come as a surprise , but uh , this isnt a" hands on experience " chatroom. What can we possibly offer that the school hasnt already taught after a years time ?

    There are plenty of videos on youtube

    This area is for techs , sorry but thats the way it is

  2. #15
    timebuilder's Avatar
    timebuilder is offline AOP Committee/Professional Member*
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    17,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrmika View Post
    Hi I am new to the trade. I have completed my first year of tech training but we never charged a system. So I am hoping that someone can give me a good step by step procedure for charging a split system. I realize this comes of like a bizaar request but I have no journeyman to teach me properly. anyway I hope one of you will help. Thanks for your time.
    Generally speaking we don't post ANY "step by step" info in the open forums.

    Apply for Pro membership and ask again in Pro Residential.

    You will know you have been approved when you see "Professional Member" under your username.

    Sounds to me like you need an apprenticeship....
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  3. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Suppy NC
    Posts
    4,513
    come on give the guy a break<<< he is trying to learn as we were at some time

    100 years ago when i was first starting beer can cold was the way it was taught. as time went on you learn the right way

    google super heat and subcooling
    norn chriss is the best when it come to this and has a few articals on the subject
    good luck and keep striving

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pensacola Florida
    Posts
    49
    Read through your book for proper methods of charge. Get a sliding charging chart from local supply company. The way to shave time down is not having to come back to a call you just left. Just learn from your mistakes youll be alright.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3
    Same feeling here, hkempf. I was blown away by the negativity. I'm glad all of you were able to locate and attend a "high class"
    trade school. Mine was crappy, and I needed the help of others (and still do) to learn the hands on part. Poster could be a DIYer, but could be just a newbie (with possibly poor training) that needs some help. Isn't that what this sight is about??

  6. #19
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    3,588
    I know the trade school guys near me are pretty sad, I saved money and did it all in the field, I do wish I went to school for the basics. I cant believe a school didn't teach that stuff.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX.
    Posts
    80
    Guys really? Think about it most tech schools are all books. I luckly went to one that was half books and hands on. Google utube go to a library. People forget where they came from... sad man tryin to make it in the world gets shot down.

  8. #21
    jpsmith1cm's Avatar
    jpsmith1cm is offline Global Moderator/AOP Committee
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,386
    Quote Originally Posted by PCHVAC View Post
    Same feeling here, hkempf. I was blown away by the negativity. I'm glad all of you were able to locate and attend a "high class"
    trade school. Mine was crappy, and I needed the help of others (and still do) to learn the hands on part. Poster could be a DIYer, but could be just a newbie (with possibly poor training) that needs some help. Isn't that what this sight is about??
    Quote Originally Posted by CEAS-AC-TECH View Post
    Guys really? Think about it most tech schools are all books. I luckly went to one that was half books and hands on. Google utube go to a library. People forget where they came from... sad man tryin to make it in the world gets shot down.
    Guys,

    The problem isn't that we don't want to tell THIS guy how to charge a system, it is that we can't post that information in open forums that ANYONE can read. THAT is the reason we don't get into step by step in the open forums.

    Think about it.

  9. #22
    jpsmith1cm's Avatar
    jpsmith1cm is offline Global Moderator/AOP Committee
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,386
    And, to those that have suggested YouTube as educational material are giving potentially BAD advice.

    While there is some good advice on YouTube, there is a TON of VERY BAD advice out there, too.

    Read the manufacturer's literature and re-re-read your texts. The information is buried in there.

    I'd also suggest the following:

    Professional Membership on this site. It's free and you have access to some of the best and brightest HVAC/R guys you'll EVER meet.

    RSES Membership.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    3,588
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

    I'd also suggest the following:

    Professional Membership on this site. It's free and you have access to some of the best and brightest HVAC/R guys you'll EVER meet.

    RSES Membership.
    This is what I do, to the point my wife is getting pissed in on here all the time lol. The its for my job excuse isn't working anymore lol.

  11. #24
    jpsmith1cm's Avatar
    jpsmith1cm is offline Global Moderator/AOP Committee
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    This is what I do, to the point my wife is getting pissed in on here all the time lol. The its for my job excuse isn't working anymore lol.
    Join the club....

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    53
    I got a 2 yr degree. The instructor was heavy into refrigeration. It was like learning heating from an oven repair man. You learn all the basics and then get sent out to take your lumps. It's the same in any trade.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX.
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Guys,

    The problem isn't that we don't want to tell THIS guy how to charge a system, it is that we can't post that information in open forums that ANYONE can read. THAT is the reason we don't get into step by step in the open forums.

    Think about it.
    Not saying post info so every home owner can learn. Just all the negative comments. And yes the op should start out like every pro here has (epa certified techs here)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event