+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scotsman Prodigy

Post Likes

Scotsman Prodigy

Hey fellas this is my first thread hear so im hoping im placing it in the correct place. The school system that i work for has a total of 10 ice machines 4 of which are Scotsman prodigy units at the moment cannot remember the model#. These 4 have been problem children from day one with max freeze time faults as well as other faults. All 4 have had water level sensors, curtain switches, and other various parts replaced within 5 years of installation. All ice machines have water filters. Air filters cleaned regularly and cleaner ran through the machines whenever time allows. (Im the only tech there and OT is a big no no). About 30 ofthe work orders a year are because of these 4 ice machines. Has anyone else run into these issues with prodigies? Or do i have a deeper problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    What kind of issues are you having exactly?

O.B.A.M.A.= One Big A$$ Mistake America

Post Likes
    If you have max freeze time faults you either have a low charge or the discharge and water temp sensor harnass is probably faulty.

Is there proper spacing around the units?

Are the air filters and condensor clean?

Pressures? Refrigerant? im guessing 404a

Post Likes
    Another thing that can screw these guys up is the incoming water temperature

Post Likes
    It seems that almost all faults have come up at one time or another. I will check clean replace fire it upand they will run perfectly for a while then start throwing fits again. Each unit spacing is different due to locations of not my choosing but i try to ensure that it gets as much space as possible. I clean the air filters as often as possible and condenser is cleaned once a year. It is 404aa but ive always figured it to be an electrical problem so pressures have never been checked.

Post Likes
    The biggest problem I have found with these machines is the water quality. The plates need to be extremely clean. Maybe not your particular problem, but just noting the problems that I have seen.

Do you have a good water filter system for the machines.

Just a note: The Prodigy is s great little ice maker, but you do need to keep all the components real clean. It seems to throw fits if you don't. This includes all sensors.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    We do have extremely hard water in my area joe. Aquapure filters are used on these machines. I have been wondering if the machines total cleanliness could be the problem. Although my other machines are hoshi's and manitowocs but rarely have problems with those.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerjake View Post
    We do have extremely hard water in my area joe. Aquapure filters are used on these machines. I have been wondering if the machines total cleanliness could be the problem. Although my other machines are hoshi's and manitowocs but rarely have problems with those.
    That could be your issue. Our water is hard as rocks and full of lime. We are sitting on a bed of limestone.

The Prodigy is very sensitive to water quality. All I can say is clean them weekly. Or possibly add something to get rid of the hardness in the water. Not sure what would be your best solution there.

Not all Scotsman's have this problem, seems the Prodigy model can not tolerate bad water or any calcium on the sensors or evaporator plates or it goes nuts.

You are correct in that Hoshisaki & Manitowoc do not have this problem. They have other problems though.
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Post Likes
    never liked prodigies much, they also tend to leak like a sieve into the compressor compartment, and are one of the harder machines to clean, as well as the whole issue of the level of cleanliness they require, its just a bad machine all around. Some love them, I dont

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by danbb View Post
    never liked prodigies much, they also tend to leak like a sieve into the compressor compartment, and are one of the harder machines to clean, as well as the whole issue of the level of cleanliness they require, its just a bad machine all around. Some love them, I dont
    Ah come on, once you get to know them, you'll love'em.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Ah come on, once you get to know them, you'll love'em.
    I think i liked them better before I had to work on one

Post Likes
    What model number. Slot of issues stem from a poorly designed curtain. They have a replacement curtain that is hinged. Also water level sensor needs to be cleaned regularly. Run into that allot it says dump full but it's bone dry.

Sent from my amazing 4G device

Post Likes
    Since Hard Water is an issue with the Prodigy.
    I have a Aqua Pure HF60S and am still having Deposit issues.
    Am Contemplating adding another HF60S alongside in series to help reduce Deposits.
    Any Suggestions.

Post Likes
    Water supply issues. I've seen some fault on freeze time because of water supply issues.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in