Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Wait a second. If you only do what a book tells you to do and never do anything you were not instructed to do how could you possibly make a mistake requiring a fix? Wouldn't any mistake made by you be someone else's fault? Further more how could you possibly fix said mistakes if you already followed all of the procedures you read? Do you just wiggle your nose and TA DA it's all better? I bet you never used a screw driver to push a contactor in either. All hail the chiller master Lord Dallas Duster. Please!!!

On a lot of small units, it is the procedure to push in the contactor but on a lot of bigger machines, if you push in the compressor contactor, you could lock up the compressor because the master oil solonoid valve could be closed, or the oil pump may not be running. Not to mention the dangers of pushing in a contactor on a large amperage compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadrion View Post
    Wow...this thread sure went ape ****. It does all come down to personal procedure when dealing with servicemen. Personally, I don't jump safties unless I know they are shot AND there is a dire need for the equipment to run AND the client understands the potential consequences. A gallon of oil and piece of mind is far less expensive and easier to explain the a dead compressor- that's my motto. Following factory procedure is a great idea and a great way to cya. The 30GXR249 I initially posted about is still purring away.

I bet the tech with the appion under the machine was trying to pump oil laden refrigerant from the cooler to the serperator with the hopes of driving the refrigerant off with the heater...thought of that one while I was there but it's a little iffy if you are at a saturated temp in the seperator- can't know if the refrigerant has boiled off.

As I thought about the AOP on these machines I came to the conclusion it's a great idea- the York and Trane chillers I've worked on rely on discharge pressure to build fast to get oil flowing- I find it hard to believe they are fully protected every start for the first say 10 secs...of course the GXR is quite a bit smaller compressor. I like seeing all the ideas that all the oems come up with....sure a lot to learn.
    "there is a dire need for the equipment to run AND the client understands the potential consequences." Exactly. We don't hide anything from customers. You mentioned that one was breathing down your neck which is why I suggested this method for future reference if a customer had a high dollar process. Some of our customers can not have a chiller go down and it is their preference to jeopardize a chiller until a scheduled shutdown. Different strokes for different folks. I would always explain the risk of any questionable repair methods.

Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    Well isn't that a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Your very first post on this forum was stating your opinion as fact. You said the manual says to jump it out and even tells where to put the jumper. I simply asked what the manual number and page number is as the 5 versions I have specifically states not to jump it out. Who knows, you may have a manual that says that but that is contradictory to what all the other manuals say. You obviously have one of the versions I have as you quoted oil charging procedures out of it and said “But if you read the version you have it tells you, without saying it, that it is safe to jump it out.” This is a public internet forum and there isn’t anything wrong with questioning a posted procedure that could possibly cause damage. There are a lot of other people with a lot less experience on these machines reading this thread. They have a right to know the possible dangers and can make their own decision with all the info provided. If you want to jump it out, that’s your business. I’m going to follow the OEM procedure and cover my a**.
    Which OEM procedure? You said you have 5 versions. I have 2 on my hard drive. There is another hard copy of an earlier version in one of my HX machines that has the procedure in question in it. If a guy walked up on a machine that had that earlier version and followed it would he be wrong? As for the pot and kettle thing aint you counting chickens before they hatch? Said I didn't have it in front of me but would post it next week when I'm at that site. I wonder will you apologize for the insulting condasending posts you have made when said document is produced?

Which OEM procedure? You said you have 5 versions. I have 2 on my hard drive. There is another hard copy of an earlier version in one of my HX machines that has the procedure in question in it. If a guy walked up on a machine that had that earlier version and followed it would he be wrong? As for the pot and kettle thing aint you counting chickens before they hatch? Said I didn't have it in front of me but would post it next week when I'm at that site. I wonder will you apologize for the insulting condasending posts you have made when said document is produced?
    No I won't apologize because all along I said you very well may have it and I'm interested in seeing it. And, the later versions always apply.

And talking about insulting and condescending???? I guess you forgot about what you just said to Dallas Duster a little while ago.

read page 51. it will tell you to how to jumper the oil level switch. for all you unexperienced techs this manual is outdated. read the whole procedure. remember Carrier sells compressors
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sorry to get everyone riled up, should have added more disclaimers to my early posts. We are all here because we all care to learn more and try to help/humor others in the trade. Chances are if you are on this site you are looking to to advise and get advice because you care about perfection in your trade. Im late for my overdue beer thirty. By the way it looks like there are a lot of die hard chiller guys on here. I posted a thread a while back titled evap woes and I would still appreciate any thought on the matter. Thanks guys have a good evening.

Quote Originally Posted by freonrick View Post
    read page 51. it will tell you to how to jumper the oil level switch. for all you unexperienced techs this manual is outdated. read the whole procedure. remember Carrier sells compressors
    Thanx !!

No I won't apologize because all along I said you very well may have it and I'm interested in seeing it. And, the later versions always apply.

And talking about insulting and condescending???? I guess you forgot about what you just said to Dallas Duster a little while ago.
    That's ok R123 I am king now I guess. Yeah for me!!!
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Ŕlways? So the comfort link version applies to the ecologic machines? What if your not that guy who carries 5 different versions of the same manual. Btw why do you have 5 versions if only the latest applies? Anyway what if you don't carry all those manuals but there is one in the machine? Do you toss it? I understand you not being comfortable with the procedure and that's fine. But you 2 jumped on me like a rat on a cheetoe because you are not comfortable with it. Even though as I said it was a carrier procedure. I never questioned your technique or ability or professionalism until mine was. So do it your way I'll do it mine, truth be told 99% of the time we do things exactly the same. But I was right whether you like it or not. Have a nice day.

Ŕlways? So the comfort link version applies to the ecologic machines? What if your not that guy who carries 5 different versions of the same manual. Btw why do you have 5 versions if only the latest applies? Anyway what if you don't carry all those manuals but there is one in the machine? Do you toss it? I understand you not being comfortable with the procedure and that's fine. But you 2 jumped on me like a rat on a cheetoe because you are not comfortable with it. Even though as I said it was a carrier procedure. I never questioned your technique or ability or professionalism until mine was. So do it your way I'll do it mine, truth be told 99% of the time we do things exactly the same. But I was right whether you like it or not. Have a nice day.
    Man you just won't let it go. You must have some severe anger management problems. YOU we're the first one to question my technique And YOU were the first one to start the insulting and condescending posts. And as far as the comfort link version verses the ecological version, that was just 1 catalog number I posted. If you want to get technical, catalog no. 533-092 dated 3/99 and catalog no. 533-095 dated 9/99 say the same thing. The bottom line is yes, the early manual says to do it but obviously the engineers at Carrier found out later that they were wrong. They made it a point to change that procedure because they issued a warning later not to do it and changed the IOM. And as far as me keeping all my manuals, that's my business, not yours. I make it a point to keep up with the latest manuals and service bulletins for reasons like this. As an OEM tech (for Trane) we are required to know all the latest service bulletins and procedures and occasionally they contradict what's written in earlier versions due to new issues the engineers discover. At my office there is strong emphasis on following the latest procedures. I make it a point to do the same with other brands. Now I'm done talking with you and you have a nice day.

Man you just won't let it go. You must have some severe anger management problems. YOU we're the first one to question my technique And YOU were the first one to start the insulting and condescending posts. And as far as the comfort link version verses the ecological version, that was just 1 catalog number I posted. If you want to get technical, catalog no. 533-092 dated 3/99 and catalog no. 533-095 dated 9/99 say the same thing. The bottom line is yes, the early manual says to do it but obviously the engineers at Carrier found out later that they were wrong. They made it a point to change that procedure because they issued a warning later not to do it and changed the IOM. And as far as me keeping all my manuals, that's my business, not yours. I make it a point to keep up with the latest manuals and service bulletins for reasons like this. As an OEM tech (for Trane) we are required to know all the latest service bulletins and procedures and occasionally they contradict what's written in earlier versions due to new issues the engineers discover. At my office there is strong emphasis on following the latest procedures. I make it a point to do the same with other brands. Now I'm done talking with you and you have a nice day.

Very well. So the engineers were wrong but the manuals the wright are the gospel. Got it. Don't think right. Just do what the book says. So you can CYA I suppose. Where I come from we have a name for that. It's not tech.

Very well. So the engineers were wrong but the manuals the wright are the gospel. Got it. Don't think right. Just do what the book says. So you can CYA I suppose. Where I come from we have a name for that. It's not tech.
    See you are just stubborn I guess. Could that name be Tommy knocker????? I wouldn't doubt it.

Hell I'm afraid if we had it your way they might as well not even worry about shipping a manual with the equipment so you might as well throw all yours away and just do it the Tommy Boy way.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Duster View Post
    See you are just stubborn I guess. Could that name be Tommy knocker????? I wouldn't doubt it.

Hell I'm afraid if we had it your way they might as well not even worry about shipping a manual with the equipment so you might as well throw all yours away and just do it the Tommy Boy way.

What manual was your recovery machine trick in agin?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast