Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    Guilty as charged I guess. I read an Evapco manual yesterday and it mentioned waxing the stainless steel components in their cooling towers. I can't really say I do that either or ever really heard of anyone doing it.
    Just don't jump out the vibration switch thinking its going to wax its self.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Duster View Post
    ha haha ha haaa ha..

That's a good one!!!
    mikeacman

In 1997 Carrier's engineers released a warning about jumpering the oil level switch. They stated that they had proven a lack of oil level in the seperator would allow a mixture of oil and vapor to prove differential oil pressure requirements for start up and run. In 2002 i was told by a Carlyle engineer that they had deliberately run 06N compressors without lubrication, but WITH adequate refrigerant flow thru the screws, they would last about an hour. The combination of foamed oil or no oil with low flow of refrigerant thru the screws is the killer. If you jump it out you better have good refrigerant flow thru the compressor. The compressor may not fail that day but in a few months you will be listening to a screamer with high amps.

I speak on this with personal experience, don't do it, when in doubt put oil in the reservoir and make the machine recover oil.

I threw away the jumpers for they have sinned. I ordered a power buffer for the truck incase a customer decides to actually care for their tower before it's 5 years too late. Also tossed a lawnchair on the truck so I can sit back and enjoy the oil return safely

Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    I threw away the jumpers for they have sinned. I ordered a power buffer for the truck incase a customer decides to actually care for their tower before it's 5 years too late. Also tossed a lawnchair on the truck so I can sit back and enjoy the oil return safely
    Well at least the mechanical room floor will look shiny when the compressor fails. Then you will have some thing to fall back on.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Do it don't do it it's every tech's call. I have done it. I have read it in a 30GX manual. Perhaps that manual was printed in 1996. Who knows. But it is an option. Never said jump it and leave it. It only took a few minuts when I have used this technique to get enough oil back to make the switch. Just because someone thinks they are the smartest tech in the room or they are the sole expert with the only answers that are correct does not make it so. I have several of these machines under my care and have been taking care of them for several years. I have replaced barrels and other various parts. What I have not yet had to replace is a compressor. Most of them are 1990s. Don't do it. I don't care. But don't insult people who do things different then you. Your way is not the only way. Niether is mine. But both obviously work.

Wow...this thread sure went ape ****. It does all come down to personal procedure when dealing with servicemen. Personally, I don't jump safties unless I know they are shot AND there is a dire need for the equipment to run AND the client understands the potential consequences. A gallon of oil and piece of mind is far less expensive and easier to explain the a dead compressor- that's my motto. Following factory procedure is a great idea and a great way to cya. The 30GXR249 I initially posted about is still purring away.

I bet the tech with the appion under the machine was trying to pump oil laden refrigerant from the cooler to the serperator with the hopes of driving the refrigerant off with the heater...thought of that one while I was there but it's a little iffy if you are at a saturated temp in the seperator- can't know if the refrigerant has boiled off.

As I thought about the AOP on these machines I came to the conclusion it's a great idea- the York and Trane chillers I've worked on rely on discharge pressure to build fast to get oil flowing- I find it hard to believe they are fully protected every start for the first say 10 secs...of course the GXR is quite a bit smaller compressor. I like seeing all the ideas that all the oems come up with....sure a lot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Do it don't do it it's every tech's call. I have done it. I have read it in a 30GX manual. Perhaps that manual was printed in 1996. Who knows. But it is an option. Never said jump it and leave it. It only took a few minuts when I have used this technique to get enough oil back to make the switch. Just because someone thinks they are the smartest tech in the room or they are the sole expert with the only answers that are correct does not make it so. I have several of these machines under my care and have been taking care of them for several years. I have replaced barrels and other various parts. What I have not yet had to replace is a compressor. Most of them are 1990s. Don't do it. I don't care. But don't insult people who do things different then you. Your way is not the only way. Niether is mine. But both obviously work.
    The 4th sentence needs to read that this is your opinion and is not a real option.

Just my two cent.
    UA 100

The 4th sentence needs to read that this is your opinion and is not a real option.

Just my two cent.
    Says you. Oh that's right your the smartest tech in the room. You are the sole expert with the only correct answers. We yield to you perfection of all things chiller. Btw it was the 6th sentence you miss counted. Oh wait a minut you can't be wrong. It must be my fault I should have left the periods out

Says you. Oh that's right your the smartest tech in the room. You are the sole expert with the only correct answers. We yield to you perfection of all things chiller. Btw it was the 6th sentence you miss counted. Oh wait a minut you can't be wrong. It must be my fault I should have left the periods out
    It's people like you and your incorrect procedures that gives OEM's and bad reputation. Guess that's why we get the calls after its all messed up. Then the end users expect that miracles can be performed.

I don't claim to be the smartest but I can fix my mistakes.
    UA 100

OK so we agree that the comp is protected from no oil on start if level switch is jumped out. Now once running would vapor refrigerant absent of oil produce the pressure differential the control is looking for?
    It very well could.

It's people like you and your incorrect procedures that gives OEM's and bad reputation. Guess that's why we get the calls after its all messed up. Then the end users expect that miracles can be performed.

I don't claim to be the smartest but I can fix my mistakes.
    Wait a second. If you only do what a book tells you to do and never do anything you were not instructed to do how could you possibly make a mistake requiring a fix? Wouldn't any mistake made by you be someone else's fault? Further more how could you possibly fix said mistakes if you already followed all of the procedures you read? Do you just wiggle your nose and TA DA it's all better? I bet you never used a screw driver to push a contactor in either. All hail the chiller master Lord Dallas Duster. Please!!!

Well isn't that a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Your very first post on this forum was stating your opinion as fact. You said the manual says to jump it out and even tells where to put the jumper. I simply asked what the manual number and page number is as the 5 versions I have specifically states not to jump it out. Who knows, you may have a manual that says that but that is contradictory to what all the other manuals say. You obviously have one of the versions I have as you quoted oil charging procedures out of it and said “But if you read the version you have it tells you, without saying it, that it is safe to jump it out.” This is a public internet forum and there isn’t anything wrong with questioning a posted procedure that could possibly cause damage. There are a lot of other people with a lot less experience on these machines reading this thread. They have a right to know the possible dangers and can make their own decision with all the info provided. If you want to jump it out, that’s your business. I’m going to follow the OEM procedure and cover my a**.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast