Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Duster View Post
    I must say that R123 is correct but with a recovery unit and a little know how you can get your oil back without pumping oil into a machine or even jumping out the oil level switch. Although I have heard of the local Carrier tech support tell a contractor to jump it temporarily but I wouldn`t do it.
    I agree there are other ways to return the oil without jumping out the level switch.

Another good method Dallas. Especially when all of the oil has left the seperator and you get the pre start oil pressure alarm and the comp will not start.

I must say that R123 is correct but with a recovery unit and a little know how you can get your oil back without pumping oil into a machine or even jumping out the oil level switch. Although I have heard of the local Carrier tech support tell a contractor to jump it temporarily but I wouldn`t do it.
    Dallas, I was asked to look at a 30GX today at a business, the previous technician left an Appion recovery machine on site under the unit. It was tied between one of the compressors and the oil separator. I scratched my head and just VERY coincidentally was doing a search on this and this very recent post came up. Could you high light me on what this technician was attempting to do? I guess Compressor "A" trips on T124 code, Low oil pressure, nearly five times a day.

Dallas says R123 is correct but he also says he knows a carrier tech support rep has told someone to do it temporarily, I guess I should have said temporarily, but he would not do it. So because he would not do it and R123 hasn't read it but Tech support recommends it it must be wrong. Is that what I'm reading? Well I have read it and done it and in 2 hrs total time the oil was back the jumper was out and the machine was and is online. No parts no oil wasted no time wasted. It's safe. It's effective. It's efficient. Never said it was the only way. Do what you want.

Not stealing this thread, but while this discussion is hot, I noticed that the 30GXR090 chiller, I did a preliminary on, had no strainer installed on the inlet side
    Not sure if I really want to get married to this system. Current company servicing unit has ran a $60,000 dollar bill in just the last 5 years on trying to keep this unit operable. Not sure what they have been doing, but I have a feeling that with the numerous oil trips and low suction saturation temp trips, and lack of a strainer, the tubes are just a disaster.
    I am now just starting to download manuals on this unit and reading away to see if this is really a unit that I want to take over service on? I am thinking of politely turning down this job. 2001 Carrier 30GXR chiller, Trane BCVB VAV's, all tied together with Keler relays and TAC modules, and a useless building automation program. Why oh why doesnt a engineer just utilize either all Trane or Carrier equipment with OEM specific operating system like I-vu or Tracer/Tracker?

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    Dallas, I was asked to look at a 30GX today at a business, the previous technician left an Appion recovery machine on site under the unit. It was tied between one of the compressors and the oil separator. I scratched my head and just VERY coincidentally was doing a search on this and this very recent post came up. Could you high light me on what this technician was attempting to do? I guess Compressor "A" trips on T124 code, Low oil pressure, nearly five times a day.
    He was probably trying to fake out the prestart failure. That's just as bad as jumping out a switch . Btw i have never done. The oil must be in the cooler. Wow at first I thought I left my machine on a job but no. Unless there is oil all over the ground you need to load the compressor up for a while.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Relax Tommy, do it the way you want to. I'm just making sure that everyone else who reads this thread knows the dangers of jumping out the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Dallas says R123 is correct but he also says he knows a carrier tech support rep has told someone to do it temporarily, I guess I should have said temporarily, but he would not do it. So because he would not do it and R123 hasn't read it but Tech support recommends it it must be wrong. Is that what I'm reading? Well I have read it and done it and in 2 hrs total time the oil was back the jumper was out and the machine was and is online. No parts no oil wasted no time wasted. It's safe. It's effective. It's efficient. Never said it was the only way. Do what you want.
    Forgot to tell you I would not trust the local support that "was" in the local distributor. But I'm with R123 again on the level switch. I have heard some old compressors from 1996 that just don't sound right like ones with oil sound.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Not stealing this thread, but while this discussion is hot, I noticed that the 30GXR090 chiller, I did a preliminary on, had no strainer installed on the inlet side
    Not sure if I really want to get married to this system. Current company servicing unit has ran a $60,000 dollar bill in just the last 5 years on trying to keep this unit operable. Not sure what they have been doing, but I have a feeling that with the numerous oil trips and low suction saturation temp trips, and lack of a strainer, the tubes are just a disaster.
    I am now just starting to download manuals on this unit and reading away to see if this is really a unit that I want to take over service on? I am thinking of politely turning down this job. 2001 Carrier 30GXR chiller, Trane BCVB VAV's, all tied together with Keler relays and TAC modules, and a useless building automation program. Why oh why doesnt a engineer just utilize either all Trane or Carrier equipment with OEM specific operating system like I-vu or Tracer/Tracker?

The strainer is probably on the pump if I had to guess. 90 tons sounds small to me and what pops up in my mind is a lot of short cycling. Take a peek at the starts and hours and that might give you some idea.
    UA 100

The strainer is probably on the pump if I had to guess. 90 tons sounds small to me and what pops up in my mind is a lot of short cycling. Take a peek at the starts and hours and that might give you some idea.
    I inspected the pumps and tracked the lines and no strainer was installed. Told by maintenance guy that that section of piping missing insulation was where a previous company was planning on installing one, but they never did. Now at each of the VAV's (42 total) they have strainers and I randomly pulled one open and screen mesh was packed solid.

I inspected the pumps and tracked the lines and no strainer was installed. Told by maintenance guy that that section of piping missing insulation was where a previous company was planning on installing one, but they never did. Now at each of the VAV's (42 total) they have strainers and I randomly pulled one open and screen mesh was packed solid.
    Are you calling a vav what we normally call a fan coil?
    UA 100

You are correct, slip of the tongue, it is a bunch of Trane BCVB fan coils with 6 row primary coil for cooling and auxiliary coil for heating.

So R123 what danger exactly are you referring too? Let's try this. In your expert opinion will the oil pump produce enough vapor refrigerant pressure to fool the oil pressure transducer if no oil is in the seperator?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast