Refrigerant effects

I'm running a fairly old (1972) 55 ton Carrier chiller using 134a and installed aboard a ship. Not long ago, the Chief and I noticed some blue discoloration of the paint on the outside of the hull in the area of the cooling water outlet from our A/C and refrigeration plants. He seems to think this is indicative of a refrigerant leak from the condenser to the cooling water, but I haven't heard of refrigerant discoloring paint like this. Any thoughts?

Taking a long shot here but, what type of oil is in the system? Because POE oil is a detergent and it may be discoloring your paint. I'm not a chiller guy so this is a wild guess on my part.
    I have done so much with so little for so long, that now I can do almost anything with nothing at all.

We're using Shell Clavus R 68 in our refrigeration and chiller compressors. Not sure of the composition of the oil except that it's a synthetic.

If there's a leak between the cooling water and the condenser tubes, at some point you'll get water in that chiller and then have big problems. Get the oil tested for moisture and meg the windings on the comp if it is internally driven.

Only other thing I can think of to remove doubt about the condition of the condenser tubes is to get an eddy current test done.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll get a chance to hydro the condenser in the fall as well, when we don't need the chiller as much.