Confused

I am looking to replace my current York central AC system and I could use some advice on a new system. I have had a number of installers come out to give estimates, most recommending the Rheeme 13 seer unit. In addition, I had Sears come out for and estimate and they really pushed the 15 seer Carrier Performance unit with variable speed air handler. The overall price was about $1500 more but I just assumed that was due to the fact that it was Sears and that the unit had a higher Seer rating. Money aside, what brands and features should I be looking at to replace my existing 3.5 ton York unit? How does Carrier rate in comparison with some of the other common systems, Rheeme, Trane, York, Comfortmaker?
    Thanks,
    Midevs2

Im a rheem and ruud guy,its what i generally like to work on. I know and stand by there equipment.I do not like the new 13 seer rheem blower.I prefer the 14 seer blower,Its the size of the classsic rheem smaller than the 13 seer,and its variable speed.Ive been lately matching 14 seer blowers with a13 seer condenser.If the custumer isnt that strapped for cash,I tell them to go for the 14 blower with a 14 seer condenser.Rheems headquaters is in new york,im in new york ,another reason.Ive used there equipment for 15 yrs.You cant kill a scroll.Even though you can get a scroll in oter brands,that should be a proriety a scroll compressor.there condensers really go well with the landscape,Green in color with the black grill.Instead of the louvers,they Know have the grill top.Whats more important then brand is installer,sears in my experience.stay away from that,ask around and youll find a respectable contractor in your area.manual j very important.this trade can be very critical shop around,read up.become edjucated.This should be just as important as buying a car.

Thanks for the quick response. Any chance you could recommend any good installers on Long Island?
    Midevs2

Carrier is a good unit, if installed by anyone but sears.

Carrier, Rheeme, Trane, York, Comfortmaker. i work on them all
    they all have different sizes for the indoor unit.
    Rheem or Ruud same thing fit in small closet - like over a water heater, better than others for that. Carrier, Payne, Bryant are basicly the same indoor unit or airhandler. 13 Seer is a good buy if you plan to live in the house for 5-8 years or rent the house. Anything above that get a unit that has a good factory warranty. like 10 years plus... and Trane is the same as American stander but cost less. about sears not sure get price, warrany from at lease 3-4 company. the higher the seer the better the rebate sometimes and you may save on your electric bill. but parts and repairs will increase due to the electronics in the system. hope this info help you.
    doing one call at a time.