R22 Replacement, R422D

What do you guys think of this replacement? Most of our customers have been using it with success. Just wanted to get some opinions...

Here is an article that we wrote about it...
    http://stores.johnstonesupply.com/88...0/Default.aspx

I dont know what to think except ........its bull**** what is going on with r22.....sooner or later we will be forced try it (r422d) eventually but until then **** rolls down hill ....Unfortunately the one at the bottom of the hill is the customer...

hmmmmm I was seeing ads on that on one of the trade magazines a few weeks ago. As we all know r410a will be history just like the others . Sure Hope it goes to something lower in pressure then r410a being we are starting to see more problems created by higher pressures . I sure hope its something that you don't have to buy all new reclaim eqipment and gauges ....... Sure it will be tho

Lots of experience lately with 422d, SUCKS. Very poor performance from a Refrigeration stand point. 10% loss in performance just dropping in the refrigerant and replacing the oil. I have a store that we just remodeled and getting the store to balance out has been a real challenge ( Hill Phoenix and Danfoss ) are both involved i trying to find out the real issues. I hope I never see a 422d store again
    " If its Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?"

Looks like 507 vs 404A battle.

422D:
    HFC-134a 31.5
    HFC-125 65.1
    HC-600a 3.4

438A(MO99)
    HFC-134a 45
    HFC-125 44.2
    HFC-32 8.5
    HC-600a 1.7

They both contain a small amount of HC-600a, perhaps to improve MO compatibility.

So... systems get repaired to hold R22...
    or carry several drop-ins
    or "we don't have 422D, but we'll recover and recharge with 438A" at more cost than full R22 recharge....

Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    Sure Hope it goes to something lower in pressure then r410a being we are starting to see more problems created by higher pressures . I sure hope its something that you don't have to buy all new reclaim eqipment and gauges
    Imagine the future being systems using a transcritical CO2 cycle.
    The bad news is that the high side runs upwards of 1500 psi.
    The good news is that it doesn't have to be recovered!
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Thanks for the response everyone

Quote Originally Posted by fl ac View Post
    Lots of experience lately with 422d, SUCKS. Very poor performance from a Refrigeration stand point. 10% loss in performance just dropping in the refrigerant and replacing the oil. I have a store that we just remodeled and getting the store to balance out has been a real challenge ( Hill Phoenix and Danfoss ) are both involved i trying to find out the real issues. I hope I never see a 422d store again
    Is it any better or worse than MO-99?
    Which would you choose and why?

Blue rhino performs.great....just a little flammable lol

Have taken over a few systems from other companies that have been converted to R422D, its performance is very poor in medium/low temp applications, even the customers noticed its sh1t...

R407F looks a better prospect though an oil change or two would be needed. I'm planning to compair it to R22 in a couple of side by side systems i have on another site.

What's the glide on R422D vs MO99? Someone care to research and report back?
    thx

Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    What's the glide on R422D vs MO99? Someone care to research and report back?
    thx
    *Deleted*

Ahhh! I remember this thread now. All these different R-22 mineral compatible drop-in blends are based on the same principle. HFC mixture with a bit of hydrocarbon(s) added. Well under 5%.

ICOR international's NU-22B (R422B) and Honeywell Genetron 422D / DuPont Isceon MO29 are made of same ingredients, but the proportions are a bit different. R422D tends to have a higher pressure than 422B. Both DuPont and Honeywell suggests 422D for low and medium temperature refrigeration use.

They're not recommending 422D for high temperature/air conditioning. MO99 438A is recommended for A/C and refrigeration, but it's only sold through DuPont. Johnstone Supply doesn't even mention that 422D is also known as MO29. I am thinking the preference is business matter rather than technical matter.

422D is DuPont's formulation, they let Honeywell sell it worldwide.
    http://www.honeywellnow.com/2008/10/...2-refrigerant/