+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RTU's not cooling the building enough

Post Likes
    You need more condenser capacity. If using the city water is not a big issue, you may be able to get small water cooled condensers installed in the unit. Will take some ingenuity, but use that as a supplement when conditions are above design. As mentioned, city water can destroy a fin-tube coil.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeway Precision View Post
    Actually no, Sixer. The point was that he wondered if he needed to units and that he was unsure if the contractor did a proper load measurement. Sorry, was trying to help out, knowing he is in the area.

And thanks for sarcasm. Must be the heat.
    Who are you thanking for the free advertizing ?

New units as a solution to high temporary load ? You guys do residential too ?

Post Likes
    I was responding to his post. And if you read his post it said they will have to get a new unit soon. So that is what I was referring to. Sorry that this post ruined your day!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    Run those units 24/7. catch the load early and you should help slide by the 3pm heat hump.

And close the OA dampers. completely.
    I was thinking the same thing, but it's a nursing home, so they probably run them 24/7 already.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by abcando View Post
    We are actually a nursing home facility ...
    Be careful what you post about your situation in an open forum. If someone expires due to heat or dehydration, you might make the news, or worse.

Post Likes
    I was responding to his post. And if you read his post it said they will have to get a new unit soon. So that is what I was referring to. Sorry that this post ruined your day!
    Doesn't effect me a bit. Its just unusual.

Other guys offer up advice and warnings on this forum on a daily basis. Your advice cost $$$$.

People come here to get away from the used car salesman that infect our industry with less than honorable sales tactics.

To get a second opinion from techs who donate their time and knowledge because they suspect somethings not right with their equipment or the way they've been treated.

This forum is an amazing concept that acts like a antibiotic to all of the dishonest techs and hack workmanship that plagues our industry.

Not saying you're one of those people either so dont misunderstand.

Post Likes
    Ok, I in no way even brought up money. It is hot out and I was just trying to offer quick help. Did not mean to offend you or anyone on here. The reason I came to the post in the first place was because it was on google under HVAC help. So i was trying to respond so that there is a place to go and call for help that is close by,

I understand that you are trying to offer help and everything. A lot of people who post on here can't fix it themselves either. It is a company. So even trying to work on it themselves can void warranties.

Not sure were you are at, but if you are near Chicago, you will understand that this weather is eating people alive. I am just trying to offer help. If the installation was incorrect with the load capacity, then it may need a new unit. All I was saying is call if you need advice or help.

I never said come buy stuff from us. I said call us for anything. Sorry.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    This forum is an amazing concept that acts like a antibiotic to all of the dishonest techs and hack workmanship that plagues our industry.
    You seem preoccupied with your crusade to promote and attach a negative stigma to OUR industry. Who does that help besides yourself? Hmmm?

Post Likes
    I am sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way! Really I am. I am just trying to help the ones close to us because this 100+ heat is brutal! I will keep my posts low key from now on. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

RPM

Post Likes
    I am sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way! Really I am. I am just trying to help the ones close to us because this 100+ heat is brutal! I will keep my posts low key from now on. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

RPM
    Thanks for your offer anyway. We are now talking with the contractor about replacing an old unit as we speak and considering a larger one. But with the need to alter the ductwork, we'll most likely get the same size again.

Quote Originally Posted by dlove
    Run those units 24/7. catch the load early and you should help slide by the 3pm heat hump.

And close the OA dampers. completely.
    Yeah, we run the units 24/7. I'll check about our OA supply some more.

Can't wait for this heat wave to be over. Tomorrow will be nicer and a lot better after that. Thanks a lot guys!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    I know this is going to elicit a number of negative comments, buy I've seen water sprinklers wetting the coils to get thru extreme conditions.
    Yep, I know of a couple buildings with sprinklers set up for extreme temp days.

Post Likes
    Might want to consider going to 2 stage 10 ton units, with the blower slowed to 320 CFM per ton. If your 7.5 ton units are moving 400 CFM per ton, that comes out to 3,000CFM. A 10 ton at 320 CFM per ton comes out to 3,200 CFM. Not a big increase in CFM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Might want to consider going to 2 stage 10 ton units, with the blower slowed to 320 CFM per ton. If your 7.5 ton units are moving 400 CFM per ton, that comes out to 3,000CFM. A 10 ton at 320 CFM per ton comes out to 3,200 CFM. Not a big increase in CFM.
    Will this enable us to have better cooling capacity while using our current ductwork? I would think this is a great option if it does.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Yep, I know of a couple buildings with sprinklers set up for extreme temp days.
    Went to a school that had a Trane chiller with a real nice sprinkler system. All PVC with fire suppression style sprinkler heads over each coil section. It was even controlled by a pressure switch hooked up to a water solenoid valve.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    You need more condenser capacity. If using the city water is not a big issue, you may be able to get small water cooled condensers installed in the unit. Will take some ingenuity, but use that as a supplement when conditions are above design. As mentioned, city water can destroy a fin-tube coil.
    Have a few places I would love to do that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
    You seem preoccupied with your crusade to promote and attach a negative stigma to OUR industry. Who does that help besides yourself? Hmmm?
    You're attacking the messenger. We have a massive company in Houston that hires sales ppl. Not techs.

The companies and techs who take advantage of ppl in a bad situation are the ones responsible.

If I hear one more effing horror story about that group of jackass' or the usual suspects that are known for ripping ppl off Ill set up my own sting operation and put it up on youtube.

I mean unless you have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo of selling ppl junk they dont need you should support any effort to route out companies that are in the bussiness of ripping ppl off.

Post Likes
    If using the city water is not a big issue here we get DINGED sewage charges that are 117% of the water bill for every Gallon through the meter.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by abcando View Post
    Will this enable us to have better cooling capacity while using our current ductwork? I would think this is a great option if it does.
    Yes, While you wouldn't get the full 10 ton capacity, you'd get a lot more then you are.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Control Man View Post
    If using the city water is not a big issue here we get DINGED sewage charges that are 117% of the water bill for every Gallon through the meter.
    It absolutely is a big issue. It s the last option for a building with a dying chiller or a building suffering through a heat wave with equipment that isn't rated for excessive ambient.

We've done it once with full disclosure to our customer of what the consquences would be.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    You're attacking the messenger.
    I'm not attacking anybody, the point you missed is that your broad/general comments give the entire industry a black eye. The outcome? Building owners go with the cheapest guy because, according to you, we are all crooks...why not go with the cheapest and save some money for the next crook to fix the last crooks problems. Use your head.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in