Overheating Condensors

I work at a large retail/grocery store that has a tin roof. We are in Central Indiana and our temps have been miserable for the past 2 weeks, in the upper 90's to lower 100's. During this time the AC at work has been having trouble keeping up, all of the employees complain because it is warm in the store. Last night one of the main sensors showed that the temps were reaching the critical stage and they were forced to shut down the entire system. They basically said that the condensors were working so hard and couldn't keep up since our area doesn't normally recieve heat like this. My questions is, is it possible for the condensers to overheat like this from running all the time? I suppose it is possible but never thought about it happening, and with the tin warehouse like ceiling/roof it is very hard to keep the heat out. The building and units are 17 years old.

The problem is not due to run time. The problem is the condenser unit(units outside) has the purpose of removing heat from the refrigerant(freon). When the temp climbs outside it can't remove that heat and causes the refrigerant pressure to increase. This increased pressure can cause the system to breakdown.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

That's the way condensers scream wash me till my bath water runs clean.They never complain when the temps are cool.

Condensers are designed for the ambient conditions for the area. A couple of years ago we had temperatures from 105 to 112deg. The design temperature in our are area is 95deg, the condensers had a design temp of 105deg. We had refrigeration alarms going off all over town. There was nothing wrong with the equipment, but the ambient exceeded the design of the condensers. The fix was to run hoses up to the roof and put sprinklers on the condensers and wait out the heat wave. Once the temperatures return to normal we removed the sprinklers.

What store? Sounds like I better avoid it

What shut down? All the refrigeration equipment or the space cooling?

Cheer up, cooler Sunday. But today's 105 sure was killer.

I saw a couple of travel trailers yesterday with sprinklers running on their roof. I don't imagine Citizen's Water would like that BUT could help!

Quote Originally Posted by ararams View Post
    That's the way condensers scream wash me till my bath water runs clean.They never complain when the temps are cool.

It is the space cooling equipment and that is exactly what they did tonight. The unit for the pharmacy couldn't keep up and the temp creeped up to 80 in there. The medicine can't be aboove 77 so that was their fix tonight, go up to the roof and hose down the unit until the support team could come (about a 2 hour drive for them). I never knew that there were different ambient units sent to different locations.

Design conditions

BParson03- When systems are placed in service it is long considered to figure a heat load on the equipment based on a heat gain of the structure at a design out door temperature to bring the indoor condition space to design conditions. That is dry bulb/ wet bulb air temp. design air temp entering the condenser (clean of course). 17 year old equipment also may tell you something as years ago due to the economics at the time your unit [s] may have been undersized for a cost saving option. I'm in Houston and we through a outdoor design temperature of 95*F out the door years ago, we use a minimum of 105*F which makes a big difference. Spraying water on the coil will help, but it also will speed up the deterioration or the condenser coil and shorten the life of the unit.-GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

Run a hose up there and put a sprinkler on it.

Had a store in Baker, Calif. where the temps reach 110* in summer all the time. They have swamp coolers blowing on the A/C condensers to keep them running.

Believe me, I know all about the heat and condensers not keeping up! The heat has revealed many dirty condensers. However the continued heat has been heck on even new condensers. I've dealt with many angry calls over this very issue, I've cleaned units and given tips only to be told "just put some Freon in it!" which is definitely not the answer as many units I've dealt with this past 3 weeks are pushing 300psi on R-22 split units! I even had one who had a "buddy" top his off that had a 500+psi high side!

Had a 3 ton split today kill a dual cap and pop the 240v breaker . The coil was not covered what so ever. Everything was on the inside and it was running a 350p head. (r22). Cleaned with coil cleaner and the grass clippings and dirt just poured out. When I was all done and the coil dried up I was running a 200p head! He was low by a pound but my point is that dirt and water born and air born sedement WILL stick to the inside of the coils and dramatically reduce the heat transfer. We clean roof top units at least twice a summer.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.