Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freon Theft

Hybrid View

Freon Theft

Seems like its pretty common in the US, didn't expect to read that its happening closer to home...

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/05...al-freon-theft

for some reason, I expect to see a rise of freon theft after this article though......

It's code here, all new installs have to have locking caps.

Never heard of someone having it get stolen though.

Quote Originally Posted by truck12 View Post

Never heard of someone having it get stolen though.
    I had a case of someone stealing refrigerant from one of our installs a few years ago. We put in a new system in a new auto dealership. One of the systems ended up having the condenser close to the sidewalk near a busy street. (Think busy road full of car dealerships). well, about a month after the install, I get a no cool call from the area this condenser serves. I get there and find the unit low on refrig. I do a leak test w/ N2, and no leaks found. I re charge the unit.
    Two weeks later, another no cool call. Yep, unit FLAT on charge this time. Hmm.. Another leak search, this time I inject some dye. Re charge the unit, and all is good again. no leaks found.
    Another two weeks later, yet ANOTHER NO COOL CALL for the same unit. I am like, WTF! I check the UV dye, and found dye splattered all over the service ports. I always clean up after doing an injection to avoid false readings. This was sprayed all over the back of the condenser and the wall next to the unit.
    I asked the customer to point one of their security cameras at the unit. I recharge the unit, and all is well for a few weeks. Sure enough, the ac stops working. This time the service manager of the dealership reviewed the security footage. Sure enough, some tweaker was using a balloon to fill it up with gas from the AC service ports, and then huffing it on the spot. I watched the footage, and it was stupid. The guy wold fill the balloon up, huff it all and fall on the ground. He would get up, and do it all over again until he had enough.

That's when I installed the locking covers and the problem went away. That was about 7-8 years ago, long before the covers became code here on new installs.

I posted something like this last year. Nothing new.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=893692

The only difference is that R22 is costlier to replace this year than last year.

Its Canada...Im surprised they don't legalize it.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Its Canada...Im surprised they don't legalize it.
    I'm sure it must be legal in California. (thinking huffers). Or maybe even 'medically prescribed'.

Cool

nice......
    of all the evils out there .. i believe marijuana is the least of our worries

damn

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHardThenDie View Post
    nice......
    of all the evils out there .. i believe marijuana is the least of our worries
    No, its just an additional evil.

If you think it is expensive here checkout australia, $150/kg for R404 and $100/kg for R410

now thats a place to send the thieves to.

I remember from highschool (late 90's... Houston, TX area), kids that would huff refrigerant from parked cars and homes.

As of Oct 1 2011, Texas is on the UMC/IMC 2009, which requires locking caps for all new instals.

Tony

Would anybody happen to know if the bad guys have been able to beat the locking caps?
    Also, do you offer the caps as an added sale to your customers?

Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    Would anybody happen to know if the bad guys have been able to beat the locking caps?
    Also, do you offer the caps as an added sale to your customers?
    Well, for the time being, I think that it is more of a matter of inconvenience.

With so many units LACKING locking caps, a possible refrigerant thief would just move on down the line... Instead of trying to circumvent them.

Give it 5 to 10 years though, and I would assume that a few cap key's would be the number one tool in a refrigerant thief's tool kit.

I suppose by then we would see something coming out from master lock (if refrigerant theft becomes a big issue) with unique keys for each.

I offer them to my customers but I do not push them. Especially if they are not on R-22.

Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast