Scotsman CME656RS Full bin sensor issue

Ice bin is nearly empty-Ice machine starts up, full bin light flickers, then stay lit solidly. freeze light comes on and machine starts pumping water, then the compressor starts. Runs for about 30 seconds and then everything shuts off.

Full bin light stays on. Acts like the bin is full.

Service manual is scarce on details about testing this sensor

Is the bin sensor whacked?

I've never changed one before, and I looked at the spot where the ice drops and it looks like the sensor is an IR type but it's covered with a layer of calcium deposits. I tried scraping the crap off, but no difference.

I also disconnected the sensor wires at the control board(blue) and it does the same thing.

I'm guessing I need a new bin sensor assy.

Right?
    "Delay is preferable to error"- Thomas Jefferson

656 is going to have a baffle over the sensors, go ahead and remove the tray from the water trough, remove that baffle (remove the bottom and rotate the top forwards toward you) and remove the sensors. They should pull towards each other and then out the front of the machine. You shouldn't have to disconnect the wiring to get a good look at them, clean them w/ vinegar or nickel-safe ice machine cleaner. The actual eyes are hard to access with the sensors installed.

If the eyes are dirty, I clean em with straight ice machine cleaner and a Qtip. A soft toothbrush will usually get the crud off. The problem I have is they will seem to give you lockouts after cleaning, so usually end up replacing them.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

questions

Are there 2 of these sensors, one on either side of the bin?- If so then there are two plugs on the board for them, they are not labeled

All I could see when I followed the red and black wires around(wires come out of the board, go back in the compressor section and then come out on the right side and the only way I could see was by sticking my head in the bin and looking up and to the right) was once I pulled off the plastic ice cube redirector(not sure of the term, but the ice hits it and directs it toward the back of the bin, held in place by 3 thumb screws) was this plastic thing that looks like it used to be shiny plastic and I can see the wire insulation going into this thing and it's on the right side of the machine. I'm assuming this must come apart somehow to expose the eyes.

Sorry if I sound stupid about this. never saw the replacement part, yet...

Red and black and white and black wires plug in to the board red set on top. But they are more than likely just dirty. Pull them out by putting your arms under the evaps. There is one on either side set into the walls. There should also be a plastic ice deflector that snaps on them. Pull them out and soak them in a cup of cleaner.

Sent from my amazing 4G device

yeah, you removed the bin baffle to access them, reinstall it and remove the front panel and the cascading shield (just make sure you put it back in with the insulation facing out towards the front panel), and work on it from under the evaporators. There will be one on each side, red and black wires go around to the right-hand side of the machine (when standing in front of the machine), both sensors need to be clean for it to work

Thanks for the replies- going there today

I'm heading to Gettysburg today and will stop there and clean the sensors. Hopefully the machine will respond to the sensor cleaning.

I appreciate all the help, thanks again!

It's working now

Don't know why I could not see it Friday night... but I went up today and saw both sets of eyes, one on either side. The eyes look like leds. On the left side it was clean, but on the right side there was a layer of scale on them...
    soon as I took a small screw driver and scraped them clean the machine came on...

Thanks for all the assistance!

Soaking them in a cleaner solution is probably a better idea then scraping them with a screw driver. For future reference

Sent from my amazing 4G device

[QUOTE=tcape;13681731]I took a small screw driver and scraped them clean the machine came on...

wasn't as bad as it sounds

I probably could have flaked it off with my fingernail. These things must get really bad if they have to be soaked in a solution of cleaner to get the crap off.

if you scratch the lens lime will form on the scratch faster use cleaner to keep it smooth so water runs off instead of hanging up on the build up and blocking them sooner

Gotcha

Quote Originally Posted by darkbeekeeper View Post
    if you scratch the lens lime will form on the scratch faster use cleaner to keep it smooth so water runs off instead of hanging up on the build up and blocking them sooner
    I get it now, thanks!