Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaks?!?!?

Breaks?!?!?

This is for us commercial guys on roof tops all day. How often do you guys take breaks especially here in Houston area? I don't take any except lunch break. If even that. Just get about 3 bottles of water in me then back to the roof.

15 on 15 off
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

I don't mind the rooftop work. I can stay on them all day. It's the resi attics that are killing me.

Enough that I carry two cases of bottled water on my truck and go through them in one week in this kind of weather.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

I carry a quart water bottle clipped to the side of my toolbag.

When it's empty, it's break time.

I walk to the truck refill it from the 2 gallon cooler I carry in the truck, maybe drink a bit extra, and get back to it.

Rooftops don't bother me. I drink lots of water, but don't take many breaks.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapi08 View Post
    This is for us commercial guys on roof tops all day. How often do you guys take breaks especially here in Houston area? I don't take any except lunch break. If even that. Just get about 3 bottles of water in me then back to the roof.
    The techs that say "the roofs dont bother them " havn't had the pleasure of working on a Houston roof during the summer.

I keep gatorade and water in a cooler and then nother cooler with water mixed with ice and florida water to dunk towels into.

Wear them around my neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    The techs that say "the roofs dont bother them " havn't had the pleasure of working on a Houston roof during the summer.

I keep gatorade and water in a cooler and then nother cooler with water mixed with ice and florida water to dunk towels into.

Wear them around my neck.
    Not going to get into a pissing match with you about whose rooftops are hotter, but I live in Tampa, Florida. In the summertime, the climates are probably not very dissimilar.

Some people can work out in the sun for hours and it doesn't bother them. Others can't last 15 minutes.

Here's a link to a map of ASHRAE's climate zones. Houston and Tampa are both coastal cities in zone 2

http://www.eco-logic.info/elements/u...age/ashrae.jpg

-Thomas Jefferson

It depended on what I was working on. Changing a condenser fan motor on an old Carrier 60's vintage, replacing a blower shaft and bearings or a compressor changeout in 95+ temps, I would take a few extra breaks. Doing PM's, or troubleshooting something that didn't require a lot of physical activity I could hang in there for a few hours at a stretch.

I have less tolerance to colder temps.

The only thing I could think of that would make Houston just a little hotter than Tampa would be increased heat island effect due to Houston's size relative to Tampa's.

-Thomas Jefferson

After some more research, I've found that Houston is a couple degrees hotter in the 3 hottest months of the summer, and Tampa gets nearly double the rainfall during those 3 months. Around here, we're accustomed to the 3:00-4:00 PM sauna in the summer time.

The best way to deal with the heat I have found is to wear light colored, long sleeve, loose fitting shirts, wide brimmed hats, sun screen, and to drink gatorade/powerade and water throughout the day whether you're thirsty or not. Eat a light lunch.

-Thomas Jefferson

Here ya go, this is what real hot roofs look like! I won't even talk about the attics.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

gatorade and water keep one in the bag and half case each in the truck. stop as needed depending on what is going on.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act but a habit. -Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast