Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Settings in the Signature Stat will prevent the heat pump from operating when outside temps are low, running only aux heat when the outdoor sensor is installed. This could be why you have been having only strip heat running.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    The coldest it has been here in the last year is 25 degrees. the outdoor unit ran fine. There is something wrong. Soundl like the dealer is missing something......still.
    That's what I thought too, the Factory guy spent a couple of hours with it a week ago -- stay tuned, I can't get any help until next week ---- ugh!

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by belzona101 View Post
    Thanks to all for the replies. Last Thur 1-17-08, after analysis by the Lennox field rep, they repalaced the hi temp refrigerant shut off sensor & wiring harness -- I think the system just might be OK, but, time will tell.

I was told when I bought this system last Oct to expect a drop of 30% in electric consumption. My question is ---- really? Could that be true or is it salesman's "puffery"?

I also found out that this is the 2nd unit from the same dealer in this area that has had the same problem.
    Unit stayed on aux heat (no heat pump function) from last Fri to Mon 1-21-07 am when the temp hit 24 deg outside, then the heat pump kicked on. The factory rep says it's probably the thermal expansion valve and has a new one on the way --- so we'll just have to wait and see ---

XP 16 is also experiencing compressor shut down in cold

I've got a new xp 16 with the variable air handler. Moved into the house in May of this year. Worked great on A/C - highes bill on 3000 sq ft house with temp at 77 was $155 - but in heat, am experiencing the same compressor shut down as you when the temp gets in the 20's. My unit is on a concrete slab and covered by part of the front porch so I can tell when the unit has been defrosting by the moisture on the concrete. When the temps get cold like in the twenty's and the compressor locks out, there is no evidence that the unit has been in the defrost cycle. The defroast cycle appears to be working normally otherwise. The last time the compressor locked out, when the temp got to 32, the compressor came back on and the unit worked normally. Not sure if the temp really had anything to do with the unit coming back on or if it was the time it was off. Anyway, no evidence of defrost and when the unit did come back on, it did not go into defrost at least while I saw it, so it is unlikely the compressor coils iced up. Anyway, by the time the tech arrived late that day, everthing was working and there were no error codes. By the way, the airhandler and aux heat cycled just like the description here.

For Belzona101: Have read the posts here and wonder what finally fixed your unit. My tech believes it is in the defrast board, but says he cannot do anything until he gets some error codes. It will be down in the 20's tomorrow morning so I shall see what happens.

Xp 19

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy347 View Post
    I've got a new xp 16 with the variable air handler. Moved into the house in May of this year. Worked great on A/C - highes bill on 3000 sq ft house with temp at 77 was $155 - but in heat, am experiencing the same compressor shut down as you when the temp gets in the 20's. My unit is on a concrete slab and covered by part of the front porch so I can tell when the unit has been defrosting by the moisture on the concrete. When the temps get cold like in the twenty's and the compressor locks out, there is no evidence that the unit has been in the defrost cycle. The defroast cycle appears to be working normally otherwise. The last time the compressor locked out, when the temp got to 32, the compressor came back on and the unit worked normally. Not sure if the temp really had anything to do with the unit coming back on or if it was the time it was off. Anyway, no evidence of defrost and when the unit did come back on, it did not go into defrost at least while I saw it, so it is unlikely the compressor coils iced up. Anyway, by the time the tech arrived late that day, everthing was working and there were no error codes. By the way, the airhandler and aux heat cycled just like the description here.

For Belzona101: Have read the posts here and wonder what finally fixed your unit. My tech believes it is in the defrast board, but says he cannot do anything until he gets some error codes. It will be down in the 20's tomorrow morning so I shall see what happens.
    Johnboy: Still waiting for the new thermal expansion valve which the Lennox field rep says he'll stake his reputation on as the final fix -- we'll see. Mine has been shutting down like yours except for last nite & this am when it kept running down to 4 deg above??? Intermittent problem and may be tough to isolate. Stay tuned, more later.

I case you may have missed my post, the outdoor sensor will lock out the heat pump mode basd on outdoor temperature. The setting can be changed in the installer settings on the stat. This is to keep the heat pump from operating in temperatures too low for it to keep up. The sensor will also lock out Aux. heat strips when temperature is above a certain point. If the outdoor sensor is hooked up, this most likely why only aux. heat is working when it is very cold outside.

Xp 19

Quote Originally Posted by glw1982 View Post
    I case you may have missed my post, the outdoor sensor will lock out the heat pump mode basd on outdoor temperature. The setting can be changed in the installer settings on the stat. This is to keep the heat pump from operating in temperatures too low for it to keep up. The sensor will also lock out Aux. heat strips when temperature is above a certain point. If the outdoor sensor is hooked up, this most likely why only aux. heat is working when it is very cold outside.
    Thermal expansion valve swap out yesterday seems to have fixed the problem. It's 7 deg the am, aux heat has to supplement the heat pump at times, but the heat pump is running. At first, the refrigerant hi heat sensor was shutting it down, they changed that, no change in operation. The thermostst was then swapped out, no joy there either. Then they changed the power board --- nothing different. Finally, the Lennox rep got into it & said he'd stake his reputation on the expansion valve being the culprit--- looks like he was right! Hope so --- we'll see. I'm tracking the power consumption, it's been brutal with aux heat only with single digit temperatures.

Update on Johnboy347's XP-16

Last weekend, the temp got down to 27 and the unit ran fine. Has not been cold enough I guess to shut down the compressor on my xp-16 (no external temp sensor installed). The last tech talked about all the items that Belzona101 had replaced on his xp-19 except for the thermal expansion valve. Suppose I'll have to wait for the unit to act up again before I can convince them of your fix. Thanks for the great info.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy347 View Post
    Last weekend, the temp got down to 27 and the unit ran fine. Has not been cold enough I guess to shut down the compressor on my xp-16 (no external temp sensor installed). The last tech talked about all the items that Belzona101 had replaced on his xp-19 except for the thermal expansion valve. Suppose I'll have to wait for the unit to act up again before I can convince them of your fix. Thanks for the great info.

It seems to be running OK, thermal expansion valve has been changed out. It's 9 deg this am and even with aux it seems a bit slow coming up to the set point on the t-stat: really too early to tell yet, I'll just have to watch it for awhile to see what happens.

Xp 19

The final correction by the Lennox factory rep was a new thermal expansion valve 1-25-08. Today in 2-30-08 and the system seems to be working as it should.

The installing dealer was woefully ignorant about the way this unit functions and sent their "most experienced" tech to install the replacement thermal expansion valve --- when he arrived to put it in, he remarked "I have no earthly idea why Lennox wants this valve changed!!!"

So the dealer didn't learn much from his 3 months of chasing ghosts trying to fix this unit & it cost me a bunch using AUX heat!

Oh well, it seems OK now, but I wouldn't recommend this dealer to anyone!

I'm glad it worked out okay. My TXV on evap gave it up about a year into operation. Replaced and all's well here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123