Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sounds like it's miswired to me. That, or your outdoor t'stat has a problem. You do have that, don't you? I'll have to reference diagrams for discharge temp sensor. My boss prefers White-Rogers over Sig. S'tat with o/s t'stat to cut in aux heating. Just run as straight a/c & gas heat for now. I'll be out of town for a week, but tell me ALL wiring conn. (& be patient). E-mail (out of forum). jandbj@comcast.net

Sounds like a great system. Our Lennox service tech says he likes the Honeywell IAQ over the Signature stat.

To the guy with all the troubles, sounds like the dealer dosn't know to much about it and is doing the right thing as far as bringing in some help. This is a pretty complicated system so give them a chance to get it right. It is most likely not the equipments fault.
    Its a good Life!

Talking Lennox problems

Kevin: thanks for the quick reply: you are absolutely correct about the lawyers, I should not have put that in --- but I was so frustrated after weeks of fighting with this mess that I got carried away and was venting my feelings!

By low air flow, do you mean around the unit? It's totally exposed, out in the open with nothing near it to impede the flow of air into the housing.

This is not a zoned system.

My house is 100% electric, NO gas.

The t-stat is a "Signaturestat".

Location is O'Fallon, MO, (near St Louis, MO.)

I spent most of last Fri evening until Sat evening logging in the operating conditions -- 3 pages of observations of: time, date, air handle on hi or lo, heat pump on/off, outside air temp, register air temp, thermostat setting, aux heat on/off. I'm hoping that these data will be helpful to the techs who will work on the system, altho the tech that came Sat PM wasn't impressed with it!

This unit replaces a 29 year old Lennox system that was working fine, I replaced it simply because it was old and I was hopefull that the new "top of the line" Lennox would operate trouble free & a lot more efficiently for many years.

I tried posting a sample of the table, but it didn't come out right.

I can email the 3 pages to you if you send me your contact info -- mine is caralon3@aol.com.

email to jandbj

I emailed you the 3 pages of readings from the last 2 days ---

Not sure about the wiring ????? I assume that the dealer followed the instruction from Lennox ---

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!

I know we are not to talk price, but that install price seems a bit low, for

Quote Originally Posted by belzona101 View Post
    I have a problem with a new system installed Oct 29, 2007, I am sorry to say. Had I had any idea of the problems that this system would bring with it, I never would have spent $8,600.00 on it to start with!

Cooling was fine, but the heat pump intermittently won't start when the thermostat calls for heat. Shut down usually works, but sometimes takes 2 tries, then it shuts down at the end of the first cycle & won't restart---- So aux heat kicks in, air handler NEVER shuts off, runs from hi to low to hi and I'm getting an electric bill at least double what it should be.

Lennox dealer told me to expect a 30% REDUCTION in my electric bill!! Ha ha, a joke, right?

The dealer has made a bunch of calls over the last 2 months, NO JOY!

They tried again today, Sat 1-5-08 found it faulted out on discharge air, but the tech couldn't explain what that was or what it meant. He promised to turn the problem to another, more knowledgable tech (who has made 3 unsuccessful attempts so far) this coming Mon & mentioned that the Lennox factory rep, Dan Philpot, would probably be called in to help.

Tech reset the disch air fault, thermostat called for heat so both the air handler & aux kicked on! Outside air was 56 deg F. The aux heat and heat pump BOTH came on and brought the temp up to the set point.

Maybe you can reach Philpot, if you are having difficulty, either thru your local dealer or thru the Lenox web site -- there's a phone # there for Lennox & you can reach a real person in the service department.

We live in an area that is predominately gas units, is it possible that my dealer is not properly experienced with electric units?
    that equipment, are you sure some short cuts wheren't taken?

Reseting control error codes without determing what caused the fault is not troubleshooting. Did your dealer use any test equipment in troubleshooting the system.

Not to blow my own horn, but I have never needed to call a factory rep., nice thing though the factory rep will probably solve the issue. Of course you will never be told what the issue was, especially if the dealer screwed up.

Lennox problems

Installed price didn't include a humidifier, but I got a $600.00 factory rebate, so my out of pocket cost was $8,000.00.

Shortcuts? Well, maybe, but I have no way of knowing.

The tech that checked the system last Fri said the system had a built in computer that read out the error codes --- he brought test equipment to see if the refrigerant pressure was OK, said it all checked out perfectly.

Nice to hear that you experct the factory rep to get to the bottom of things.

Do you think that the performance readings for over 24 hrs will be helpful?

At 5am this morning, the system came on, no aux heat, but the heat exchanger made a very loud rising and falling hum much like revving a car engine--- it woke my wife up --- it did that for the entire 10 min cycle, shut down 10 min, did it again, shut down 10 min, then on subsequent restarts it seemed to be OK.

What size of XP 19 do you have and what exact furnace model and size do you have? I have a 5 ton XP19 and G60V 135k gas furnace with the IAQ stat and outdoor temp probe. I am just on the other side of the state from you and everything is working wonderful with the exeption of having gas heat during defrost which was solved by a temporary workaround and will be permantently fixed with a new updated furnace control board. My electric bills have been a somewhat higher, but my gas bills have been >50% lower or more since I run the HP down to low OD temps.

Lennox Problems

ccryan -- this is a CBX32MV-036 3 Ton Variable speed air handler with a XP19-036 3 ton 17.75 seer 9.06 HSPF, 2 speed heat pump and a HC16 high efficiency filter.

The filter plugged up after 2 months, $140.00 for a new one, but that was my fault -- accumulated dust & dirt for 29 years, I'm sure. Probably should have used up a couple of less costly filters first!

Lennox XP-19

Thanks to all for the replies. Last Thur 1-17-08, after analysis by the Lennox field rep, they repalaced the hi temp refrigerant shut off sensor & wiring harness -- I think the system just might be OK, but, time will tell.

I was told when I bought this system last Oct to expect a drop of 30% in electric consumption. My question is ---- really? Could that be true or is it salesman's "puffery"?

I also found out that this is the 2nd unit from the same dealer in this area that has had the same problem.

It's likely that the board isn't properly configured. All of the jumper wires and dip switches have to be right. The instructions for the jumpers are hidden in the wiring diagram. When its all properly configured it's a great system. I second the "quietest so far" statement.

Quote Originally Posted by belzona101 View Post
    Thanks to all for the replies. Last Thur 1-17-08, after analysis by the Lennox field rep, they repalaced the hi temp refrigerant shut off sensor & wiring harness -- I think the system just might be OK, but, time will tell.

I was told when I bought this system last Oct to expect a drop of 30% in electric consumption. My question is ---- really? Could that be true or is it salesman's "puffery"?
    Depending on your old system, 25% to 35% reduction is common. Unless you had a very high efficiency system before the XP19, yes I believe your electric bills would go down that much. You will likely get a bigger reduction in cooling season than in heating season.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Xp-19

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    Depending on your old system, 25% to 35% reduction is common. Unless you had a very high efficiency system before the XP19, yes I believe your electric bills would go down that much. You will likely get a bigger reduction in cooling season than in heating season.
    Thanks Kevin -- the Lennox field rep told me the heat pump would function down to 20 below -- however, this am it was 7 above. now it's 14 above -- both times, no heat pump operation, only the aux heat, probably was that way all nite as the temp dropped --- doesn't sound right to me --- what do you think??

The coldest it has been here in the last year is 25 degrees. the outdoor unit ran fine. There is something wrong. Soundl like the dealer is missing something......still.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast