We're considering buying a new A/C unit, from either Goodman or American Standard. Our installer says he likes Goodman and their parts warranty is longer. But I've never heard of them, so I'm leaning towards American Standard. Does anyone have experience with Goodman?

Thanks.

It's not in line with your question, but I can speak for Am. Std. though. I have a new 2.5 ton A/C-only setup, with vari-speed AH. The system works well, and is quite solid. I'm quite pleased with how quiet the outside unit is. This is probably due to the Scroll compressor, versus reciprocating. Am. Std. is mfgred by the same company that does Trane, and Trane is very much praised by the experts here.

What you'll find as a common thread here is the following: What is just as important, if not more important than brand, is the process preceeding and including the installation. The best product on the market can malfunction as a result of a bad install. Find a good quality contractor, make sure he answers all your questions completely, make sure they perform a proper load calculation, and make sure they stand behind their work. Get references and check them out! Ask neighbors, friends, family, co-workers, fellow church members, for referrals to companies they have had do work and were satisfied with. Dealing wtih a company that 'under-promises' and 'over-delivers' usually results in a high level of satisfaction. Be clear on what you expect from the service and product, and listen carefully to what they expect to provide with their service and product. Get it in writing! You have an endless source of professional opinions and observations from this site alone. As long as it doesn't involve pricing questions, or how to do it yourself, you will find everyone here more than willing to help you in any way possible. You will find alliances expressed here with virtually every possible brand of a/c equipment manufactured. All the best, John.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Originally posted by helbent55
    We're considering buying a new A/C unit, from either Goodman or American Standard. Our installer says he likes Goodman and their parts warranty is longer. But I've never heard of them, so I'm leaning towards American Standard. Does anyone have experience with Goodman?

Thanks.

This is Turtle.

if this installer is going to install both Goodman or A/S in your home. i would not care less about either brand if i had a good installer. Goodman is installed in 1/2 of the hvac market share as of today. I will not start tell good or bad stories about either brand but i will say this. if i had a good installer i would care less as to A/S or Goodman being installed in my home. Some people like Ford and some people like Chevy. i also have installed Goodman for years and some A/S , but will not draw a line between them as one better than the other. One is a Ford and the other is a Chevy.

Yes I know the A/S will be a little higher but it is not worth paying any big difference in them.

TURTLE

Would you prefer to drive a Cadillac (American Standard) or a rusted out pickup truck (Goodman)?

Ironically, the rusted out pickup is most likely what the Goodman will arrive in.
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

brands

American Standard all the way ...... bh