+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help, 200k BTU Rheem Rooftop Unit Freezing Up

Post Likes

Help, 200k BTU Rheem Rooftop Unit Freezing Up

Yesterday I serviced a dual stage R22, 200k btu Rooftop Rheem Unit Model # RRCF-201CK
    It had very low coil temperature, around 30f, the lines were freezing up and both compressors were working fine.
    I pumped 10lbs of R22 into it but saw no changes, the txv valves are working as far as I can tell, I am hesitant to put in more refrigerant, not sure on this one..
    Any ideas?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by myhvacx View Post
    Yesterday I serviced a dual stage R22, 200k btu Rooftop Rheem Unit Model # RRCF-201CK
    It had very low coil temperature, around 30f, the lines were freezing up and both compressors were working fine.
    I pumped 10lbs of R22 into it but saw no changes, the txv valves are working as far as I can tell, I am hesitant to put in more refrigerant, not sure on this one..
    Any ideas?
    Without some vital signs on this system it is going to be tough for anyone to give advice.

The only thing I can tell you from what you posted is that you added about 25 % of the total charge.

Can you post pressures, SH/SC , airflow, air temps ect. All the typical troubleshooting info.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Was this freezing on one stage or both stages? Pull your charge out and weigh it in to the name plate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Filters?

Post Likes
    Other things are possible but freezing usually points to low air flow. Before adding refrigerant, in fact before putting on the gauges, touch the liquid line to see if it's hot or just warm.
    There are many indicators before guessing and trying to get lucky. Adding refrigerant to an already fully charged system can damage it.
    Learn the difference between ice and frost as they indicate different problems.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Filters, blower running?
    i would say almost 90% of my service calls have nothing to do with refrigerant charge i don't even take my gauges with me until i need them two rules KISS = keep it simple stupid , Stop = stop think observe plan, along with a good system for checking equipment the same way every time so you dont miss something keeps thing moving foward for me

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in