Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have York and the outside unit stopped working today. The fan motor is not running but spins freely and the coil is pulled in. Can anyone help?

Call a contractor.

About the only thing you could try would be the breakers.If still nothing,call a pro.You'll need to call a tech out asap if it is to find out why they tripped to start with.

Call a pro. You can fatally hurt yourself monkeying around with things. Electricity bad.
    Installs, Changeouts, & Heat Stroke.....not necessarily in that order

Found out what was wrong. The capacitor was bad. Anyone having the same problem, check your capacitor. The top of the capacitor should be flat and mind was "bowed" out. Found one off a service truck and installed myself in about 10 minutes and back in business. The service guys said they were going through them like candy this week.

I should have added that I'm an electrician by trade. The average homeowner does not need to be messing inside the control side of the AC unit. Electricity - you can't see it or smell it, but you will damn well feel it and some times you only get one chance at that. Call The Pros!

Hmm

Originally posted by joesacamano
    I should have added that I'm an electrician by trade. The average homeowner does not need to be messing inside the control side of the AC unit. Electricity - you can't see it or smell it, but you will damn well feel it and some times you only get one chance at that. Call The Pros!
    An electrician by trade,huh? Then shouldn't you have checked the capacitor before asking for advice?
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Yes! I'm an electrician. I have the license to prove it. I don't work on a/c units and this was the first time in one.
    Whats' your problem? You scared someboby might learn something on this site and they might save some money or is it you won't be able to come out and make a $150 off of a ten minute job and a $10 part?

You cannot properly check the capacitor by visual inspection. The proper way to check the capcitance is with a volt meter which has the ablility to check microfarads.

The best way to check an electrolytic capacitor is with an ESR meter.

http://www.awiz.com/cwinfo.htm

The BEST Electricians in the world are HVAC Techs, they can handle multiple voltages, read schematics and understand different devices(i.e. relays, caps, motor windings etc..). By the way our licenses (we can show you) allow us to work with refrigerant.

Ok, I agree that you can't always visually inspect a cap to see if it's ok or not. But... if it's leaking, exploded or missing parts, I rarely get the meter out to check them.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Originally posted by joesacamano
    Yes! I'm an electrician. I have the license to prove it. I don't work on a/c units and this was the first time in one.
    Whats' your problem? You scared someboby might learn something on this site and they might save some money or is it you won't be able to come out and make a $150 off of a ten minute job and a $10 part?
    I could say the same thing about electricians. I have seen a few take people for a ride and sell them stuff they didn't need. Don't throw rocks unless you want them back!
    Installs, Changeouts, & Heat Stroke.....not necessarily in that order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast