repairing coil on bottom of condenser

i have a 20something ton trane unit that had a bad compressor, cause was a hole in the condenser coil from vibrating against the side of the unit. that led to the oil all pi$$ing out and running dry. so, problem solved, replace condenser, patch coil, all set! right? WRONG! since this hole is on the bottom loop of the condenser ALL the remaining oil in the condenser is now sitting at that hole. so, brazing over it is dam near impossible. HELP!! How do i get this hole clean enough to accept the silver solder?

You may have to isolate the condensor and use a flush.

I mean literally disconnect discharge and liquid line and run nitrogen throught it and maybe R410A flush kit.

Clean the area where you're repairing the weld and it should stick

I'll give that a shot.... i cleaned the hell outta it. but once i heated it up, the oil got lighter and flowed down to the hole. hopefully it'll work, i legit just need a drip of solder on ther and i cant get it to work.

Hook up your vacuum pump and just crack the valve so it's barley pulling a vacuum.

Is that an alum spine finned coil? there s a Trane repair kit. I think the part number is KIT0146.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Is that an alum spine finned coil? there s a Trane repair kit. I think the part number is KIT0146.
    It's a 20 ton. Pull the coil flip it then flush is what I normally do when oil is a big issue

All set, the ends of the coil rubbed the side of the unit until they popped open. both stages had leaks... major SH!t show. brazed em all up, leak tested and recharged. Sweeter than Bambi. pics below.

Nice job. When I get those, I wrap some stranded copper wire around it first. It helps keep solder from falling in the hole.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Nice job. When I get those, I wrap some stranded copper wire around it first. It helps keep solder from falling in the hole.

good advice, i'll try that. "There's always next time..... well except once, but then it wont matter anyway" lol

I also ran a couple lengths of rubber insulation down the inside of the compartment where it was rubbing. when i put it back together it was about 2" away from the wall, wierd. it may have been jammed in there, expansion and contraction could have "walked" the coil closer to the wall.... ehhh either way, JOB DONE!!! untill next time. Thank all you gentlemen for your advice!

Nice repair I have 9 of those units on a steakhouse in town when I started to work on them only half of them worked at all and it was the biggest mess I had ever seen. But I have repaired coils on all of them what a nightmare. But invest in that line flush it becomes your best friend and foam doesent last long for a anti vibration patch to keep them from future failure you just have to get all of the unit back in square and re enforce the corners so the unit doesent shift again and start to rub the coils but rubber blocks or urethane pads last longer and dampen the vibration.