Payne installation

So I am going to try to make this as succinct as possible. A couple of years ago we bought a split unit heat pump model PH13NA036(G)-B. It has never been hooked up. Frankly we are missing either a part or vital knowledge and was hoping one of you can help. Essentially, the unit is hooked up except for the smaller discharge line. We are unable to find a stub anywhere nor anyone that is willing to sell one. It seems everyone wants to do a service call. Anyway, I am wondering if perhaps part of the issue is we do not know what the proper name of it is. I am in E.KY and around here they just call it a stub kit. It is NOT the service valve. If anyone can help point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. It seems insane to have a unit for over 2 years and not once been able to connect it. Obviously the one shown id the old connector.
    We believe it to be a 1/2 inch nut on the line.
    I am including pics.

You need a "Lineset" is what its called in Canada. Think the mericans are the same. Or is it the service port that you are pointing at?
    Its hard to Tell from your wording but to hook that machine up toy need a lineset from the condender to the Evaporator inside the living space.

If the stub is what you are pointing at that is a service port where you would put the freon if the unit was hooked up properly with a linset.

Did someone Dun did stole ur copper fer meff?

Thats the service port it is common size. why do you wanna screw a cap on it? it has a cap you need a chargeing hose

We have the line set. It is the line with the actual nut. All of them we have purchased the nut is not correct.

My husband believes the nut should have been packaged with the unit and air handler. It was not. We have tried repeatedly to contact who we purchased it from and of course are being dodged. Payne will not speak with us due to not being an authorized dealer. My husband actually did go to school for hvac many years ago but now works as a straight pipe fitter. So is not registered in the state any longer. It is just amazing to me that a simple nut can really be this problematic. And frankly, that everyone seems to either not know, or just not care. I have a $ pile of junk at this point. Of course, the 100 degree heat is getting to me as well. Sorry.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-04-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: price

What is the serial number of the unit in question?
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

This could be it

Quote Originally Posted by melb623 View Post
    My husband believes the nut should have been packaged with the unit and air handler. It was not. We have tried repeatedly to contact who we purchased it from and of course are being dodged. Payne will not speak with us due to not being an authorized dealer. My husband actually did go to school for hvac many years ago but now works as a straight pipe fitter. So is not registered in the state any longer. It is just amazing to me that a simple nut can really be this problematic. And frankly, that everyone seems to either not know, or just not care. I have a $2000 pile of junk at this point. Of course, the 100 degree heat is getting to me as well. Sorry.

What you need is a Chatleff Fitting.

Try this:
    http://www.cozyparts.com/Lennox-Part...tid=69J46-SET1

This is where your piston would go for the heat pump. You will need a service call to get this put together. It will require someone who has an EPA certification to work with refrigerant.

Make sure you get the right size piston for the unit. It should tell you on the name plate whet size it should be.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Well if you were a contractor you could simply go to carrier parts distributor give them a model and serial number and you'd be on your way. So your gonna have to bite the bullet and pay a pro.
    For some reason I learn more with my mouth shut

yup. I concur. the unit is missing the piston holder and stub.

you have the OOOOOOOOOLD style screw on lineset in the first picture... it's useless, nobody uses that type lines anymore.

I recommend replacing the small copper line as well, as it's likely contaminated at this point.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

Thanks everyone who was helpful!

Not sure how old it could be when the unit was just purchased 2 years ago brand new.
    But whatever. As I said the piece was missing when we uncrated it. It was shipped via freight to us supposedly directly from the plant. Again, the person we purchased through has been a jerk. Perhaps it is something in the water?

I do see the fitting online and am hesitant to order it.
    And my father in law is a "certified pro" as you like to say but not a carrier dealer. We have tried repeatedly to order the part and 4 times now gotten the wrong stub kit which is why I took the time to register and post it here.
    I would be happy to get the serial number if that would be helpful.

I hope that suction line stub was valved-off; otherwise the condenser would be full of acid producing moisture...

That situation should never been neglected...

Rodney28334, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?