Heat pump - Second stage is intermittent

Hi,

I have a ClimateMaster vertical 2-stage ground source heat pump. Closed loops, buffer tank, etc.

I started having problems with the system not keeping up on certain hot weather days, and the desuperheater was not providing any hot water. After checking the loop pressure, loop temps, refrigerant, etc., I finally realized that the second stage compressor was not kicking in [sometimes].

The call lights are lit for Y1 & Y2, but only the "B" compressor is running (blower fan is at full speed.)

If I manually engage the relay for the non-working [A] compressor, it fires right up, but will not stay on. And if I jump the A-relay, it works--not a bad relay.

So here's what really throws me......If I shut everything down, disconnect the relay for compressor B, and restart the system, the problematic side (A-side) fires right up. Then if I reconnect the B-relay (power still on), the B-side will energize and go into second stage along with A.

Y1 and Y2 are lit the whole time. The schematic confirms everything is wired correctly.

I have tested the high/low pressure & temp switches.....all are at .4 ohms.

I have a VisionPro IAQ running the whole thing, all the settings have been double checked. The only one I was unsure on was the default "O/B controls changeover valve in COOLING" vs. "...controls...HEATING."

I have had a tech out twice to look at this. Of course, both times second stage was working normally and it cost me $85. They don't seem to believe me when I tell them the second stage isn't working.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind paying someone to fix it, but I need the damn thing to be broken when they get here! Or at least pinpoint what is acting up. Thank you so much in advance.

Model No???
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

VT060GSSSLTDDSE

Series 2 Digits VT CLM Vert. High Eff. Ultra Classic Heat Pump
    Size 3 Digits 060 060 MBtuh Nominal Cooling Capacity
    VOLTAGEG208 V Coml/230 V Res,1 Ph, 60 Hz
    Agency Approvals S Safety Agency Approved-US/Canada Markets
    Controls 2 Digits SS Standard Electro-Mechanical Controls
    Airflow/filter CLM 2 Digits LT Left Top / 1 inch
    Class, Cabinet, Freezestat D Distributor Class, Painted, 21 FS
    CLM Condenser D Copper w/ Hot Water Generator (HWG)
    Standard or Special Rev Level S Standard Unit
    CLM Revision Level E Rev E

Well, I'm not at all familiar with that model number nor any ClimateMaster with two compressors, except in the commercial line. But beyond that, it's clearly a low voltage problem. Could be any number of issues when it comes to low voltage electrical but I think I'd be checking the voltage. You say if you jumper the contactor coil (I assume that means feeding it low voltage directly) it works. So....what's coming to the coil via the normal wires? Insufficient voltage methinks.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Moved to residential geo forum.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?