Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by eabtampa
    Am I on the right track. What a lot for someone to take in when considering a unit!
    If your are basing your decision on compressor or coil type, then I think you've missed the boat on what most of the pros are saying on this site. Installation and the reliablity of the contractor are far more important than brand differences or minute details like compressor type.

Your choice of contractor is much more important in getting a properly operating system than whether it is a Trane or Rheem.

[Edited by hq4ever on 08-09-2006 at 11:23 AM]

Hmm

GET THE RHEEM!!!!

We install both Trane pays for alot of advertising and feeds us well at schools and tries to fill our mind with crap.
    Trane does have a better grade metal however it lookes great but does it still run. Rheem also brags to us alot also but in the last couple of months in this new SEER ratings change we have had more trouble with the Trane higher efficency units. Go to back of the warehouse and look at all the bad compressors on those top of the line units. They do pay us for compressor replacement cost to cover some of our troubles. Still the customer has a doubt in his or her mind now.

Both brands and others also will cool your home just as well.

Had my high end Trane for little over 2 years not one problem. Even though both are good, Trane seems to pay more attention to the cabinetry then Rheem. The AH of the Trane seems to be better engineered from a cabinetry perspective.
    One thing I do not like about the Rheem, they seem to ship a thin black filter with their AH. Looks to me that a lot of dirt is going to accumulate on the coils pretty quick!
    I agree Trane does seem to use better metal, every Rheem/Ruud I have seen with more than 5 years on it seems to have the base of the condensor unit rusting. Don't know if they addressed this in more recent units. Either way you will get good cooling.

[Edited by kevinmac on 08-09-2006 at 12:55 PM]

before you get Rheemed, read consumer reports . trane is an american standard product & nothing beats american standard
    The Captain.

Originally posted by hq4ever
    Originally posted by eabtampa
    Am I on the right track. What a lot for someone to take in when considering a unit!
    If your are basing your decision on compressor or coil type, then I think you've missed the boat on what most of the pros are saying on this site. Installation and the reliablity of the contractor are far more important than brand differences or minute details like compressor type.

Your choice of contractor is much more important in getting a properly operating system than whether it is a Trane or Rheem.

[Edited by hq4ever on 08-09-2006 at 11:23 AM]
    You, and others, have made a very valid point with what you are saying about the contractor and I will most certainly take everyones advice on this.

The replies to this post have been very helpful to me.

Thanks again - Erich

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Erich,

I agree that the design and install is very important,but how would a homeowner know which contractor will do the better job??Tough decision!

Using a Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer,you get a 100 satisfaction or your money back,during the first year,and it's backed by Carrier.
    It's interesting that other brands have not copied this ,I wonder why??

Enrich! have been reading your posts...

hello enrich. i have been reading your posts in my google to help my mother in law with replacing her airconditioner. i live up north, but mom is in tampa area. have you found a reputable contractor? i would appreciate help if you can. apparently, she has had 2 not-so-good-guys give her estimates. Its difficult not being geographically closer to hep her, and dishearting to find that so may guys will take advantage!!! thanks, barb

Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    hello enrich. i have been reading your posts in my google to help my mother in law with replacing her airconditioner. i live up north, but mom is in tampa area. have you found a reputable contractor? i would appreciate help if you can. apparently, she has had 2 not-so-good-guys give her estimates. Its difficult not being geographically closer to hep her, and dishearting to find that so may guys will take advantage!!! thanks, barb
    Barb,

Do you have an email address that you care to provide. If so, I will email the contact information for the AC contractor that my wife and I used in Tampa. We've not had a problem with the unit since it's install several years ago.

Erich

Quote Originally Posted by captainrat View Post
    before you get Rheemed, read consumer reports . trane is an american standard product & nothing beats american standard
    Not that their survey means much but note who is right with A-S/Trane at the top: Rheem/Ruud!

dang, I would go with a top of the line coleman

my email

Quote Originally Posted by eabtampa View Post
    Barb,

Do you have an email address that you care to provide. If so, I will email the contact information for the AC contractor that my wife and I used in Tampa. We've not had a problem with the unit since it's install several years ago.

Erich
    holy cow!! i just realized your posts were from 2004. thanks for the response!! barb
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 09-15-2008 at 03:51 PM.

Please edit out your email address. They are not allowed in post.
    You can put it in your bio.
    Thank you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

[QUOTE=Barb;1991181 i just realized your posts were from 2004. thanks for the response!! barb[/QUOTE]

No problem, I got an automatic reply to my email address notifying me that someoen had responded to this old post. When I am at home, I'll look up the information and send it to your email address.

Erich

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast