Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    OK, I could use some feedback on a home A/C system. I am going to be replacing the 20 year old unit in my home. I'm getting bids on 3.0 ton units. Trane is the brand that most contractors in my area (Tampa, FL.) are pushing. I've been trying to do some reading on the internet to inform myself - I really know nothing about home A/C. I've been reading about Rheem home A/C and thier use of scrol compressors and straight fin coils vs. Trane's use of spine fins.

Here's my dilemma. When I ask the contractors if they can get a Rheem unit, the typical response that I get is - Why do you want to do that? Then I get a statement to the effect that Trane is better. No one seems willing to say what makes Trane a better unit, just that it is. No I realize that there are pros and cons to both units.

But I am just soliciting some feedback from forum members on the validity of these contractors statements regarding the superiority of Trane vs. Rheem home A/C units.

Thanks in advance for any replies - Erich

Do you ask your ford gealer to sell you a cheavy when you go car shopping.

Look a Rheem dealer.

Both brands are good.

Just need to find a good contractor.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks for the response, but you really added nothing.

I'm not soliciting Trane dealers to sell me a Rheem.

If someone is going to tell me that one brand is better than another, then my question is what is that statement predicated on? Don't just tell me that one is better than another and that's just the way it is. If you're going to make that type of a statement then back it up with solid information.

What would make one better than another?

They are both good products, we sell both. Personally I prefer Rheem due to 100% scroll compressor where Trane is only scroll at 3 and 5 ton, otherwise recip. In this case, you should get a scroll in your 3 ton. The RAND has high & low pressure protection, Trane has none. The new RAND-JEZ series has the Copeland Comfort alert diagnstics module and compressor cover making it extremely quiet. As it is, both will be similar in sound, not too bad. Don't worry about Trane's aluminum coil, the Spine Fin has been out 45 some years and proven very leak free.

Really when you are comparing 2 excellent products, pick the best dealer.

Originally posted by eabtampa
    [ I've been reading about Rheem home A/C and thier use of scrol compressors and straight fin coils vs. Trane's use of spine fins.

No one seems willing to say what makes Trane a better unit, just that it is. No I realize that there are pros and cons to both units.

But I am just soliciting some feedback from forum members on the validity of these contractors statements regarding the superiority of Trane vs. Rheem home A/C units.

Thanks in advance for any replies - Erich [/B]
    Hay Erich, you need to lighten up dude. What do you expect comparing a trane to a rheem! cant you tell just by looking at the price that they are in a differnt class. You compare Trane to Carrier, York, Lennox You compare Rheem to Amana, Comfortmaker, Wheather King, Armstrong; Do you get the picture? Do you need someone to explain the differance in the gauge of metal they use in there cabinets? What about the degree of technology they put into there controls. Should we explain the differance between a auto reset limit and a manual reset limit. Have you seen a spine fin coil? you should, Then you decide which is best, (Spine fins has many times surface area than straight fins) In comparing the classes, they all can last 10-15years, keep you warm, keep the air flowing. The upper class will do it cheaper in the long run because it will use less parts. You should perfom annual maintenance on any equipment, but you will have additional service calls on the lower class just to reset those manual limits.
    IcyFlame

When purchasing a new unit you need to keep an open mind and stick with a producct that your contractor uses. When i was shopping for a new unt, i acually wanted a Rheem, because my old unit was a Rheem, as it turns out the Rheem dealer wanted me to match a brand new unit with an old airhandler, which i refused. Thier price was much higher than the Trane dealer. The Trane dealer came to my home while i was at work, my wife was home though, and had my comfort at heart. I told them that i wanted a 14 seer unit and they gave me a quote. I chose the Trane dealer because they were very knowledgable and had my comfort at heart recommeding that i choose an R410a system since i was changing inside and ouside unit.

More so, should you need parts in the future your dealer will have the parts available because that is the brand that they install

When I ask the contractors if they can get a Rheem unit,

With that staement you are.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by beenthere

When I ask the contractors if they can get a Rheem unit,
    With that staement you are.
    I can understand where you're coming from and perhaps I didn't explain myself very well? The contractors that have come to the home do not specifically advertise themselves as Trane dealers. However, all that have come have bid on a Trane unit. As I indicated in my first post, I know essentially nothing about home A/C.

What I have hoped to get is a reasoned explanation on why one brand may be better than another, not just it is because it is.

For instance, icyflame replies " What do you expect comparing a trane to a rheem! cant you tell just by looking at the price that they are in a differnt class." OK, I don't personally buy into the contention that one unit is better than another simply because it costs more.

Not trying to be argumentative, but as I really don't know anything about A/C I'm just looking for some good information as this is a large amount of money for me and I want to be able to make an informed decision before deciding on a particular product.

Thanks again for all replies.

Trane coil will hold up better over the years.. I don't know if in Tampa if you have salt in the air or not? if there is salt issues in the air, Trane is a winnter since the coil won't break down.

Quote:
    For instance, icyflame replies " What do you expect comparing a trane to a rheem! cant you tell just by looking at the price that they are in a differnt class."

OK, I don't personally buy into the contention that one unit is better than another simply because it costs more.

This industry is very competitive. You get what you pay for. Maybe we are not sure what "Better" means. My dads Lincoln is better than my wifes Kia. And the Lincoln cost more. But they both do the same thing.

Beenthere did contribute, He gave you professional advice. He said both brands will do the job but your real concern should be in the contractor. (It's the contractor thats going to get his butt out of a warm bed on christmas eve night in four feet of snow during an ice storm, Dig through every peice of inventory in the shop to find that one part that will ensure that your family wakes up to a toasty warm house. And then find hiself in a ditch somwhere in the middle of nowhere waiting to pay a tow truck 2 1/2 times what he just made off you and not getting home untill 2:45 PM.)
    I really like Tranes, we have a trane dealer in town that I would not allow to turn aroun in my driveway. You pick the contractor, and let the contractor do his thing.
    IcyFlame

Trane vs Rheem

TRane is better built! Trane is more reliable! That spiny fin coil is virtually leak free! When Trane bought the General Electric Air Conditioning Division in the early 80's, they bought the most reliable brand there was. Relibility reports from Utility companies always showed the GE or Trane brand as the most reliable. Check in today's Consumers Report & you will find that Trane & American Standard as the most reliable brands. American Standard owns Trane! More consumers today recognize Trane as the best you can buy! Trane is second to none in workmanship.

The Tranewashed are coming out of the woodwork

First you cannot speak manufacturer to manufacturer. You must speak model of one manufacturer against the model of another manufacturer. Each manufacturer makes a value line up to their high end line. So without knowing what the contractor proposed and what you asked of in a Rheem, there is no debate.

For instance if the contractor is giving you a price on the upper line of Rheem and it is the same price as the low end models of Trane, well then I would go Rheem!

[Edited by kevinmac on 08-07-2006 at 01:34 PM]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast