Training vs. experience

In my work we have to fix what is broken. The only thing in Commercial Facilities we do not have a a/c unit broke on a daily basis...
    And that is the only training I get besides my personal schooling or outside training.
    Q: Would it be wise to go and work at a local shop for a while and keep my other job for the training benifits? I'm thinking that it would. Maybe one day a week just get my feet wet and drive around with a tech... kind of a floater for a day a week.

Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Notasupertech View Post
    In my work we have to fix what is broken. The only thing in Commercial Facilities we do not have a a/c unit broke on a daily basis...
    And that is the only training I get besides my personal schooling or outside training.
    Q: Would it be wise to go and work at a local shop for a while and keep my other job for the training benifits? I'm thinking that it would. Maybe one day a week just get my feet wet and drive around with a tech... kind of a floater for a day a week.

Any other suggestions?

Did you ever hear the concept of Predictive maintenance? just because a unit is working doesn't mean its working correctly. I have been told many times "That unit runs great no problems, been that way for years" come to find out they got used to the unit running incorrectly for years.

If more Techs spent time, as boring as it may be, to really perform predictive maintenance procedures you would be amazed at what you will find or prevent. If you have the time and the proper equipment you can fill your time doing that. And if a problem were to happen, how much faster you will be able to diagnose and repair knowing the equipment.

and it wouldn't hurt riding with techs either.

Yes, we call it "preventative maintenance" and this does improve the longevity of our equipment. But it still doesn't involve as much of the troubleshooting side of the field as I would like.

Yes, we call it "preventative maintenance" and this does improve the longevity of our equipment. But it still doesn't involve as much of the troubleshooting side of the field as I would like.
    Predictive maintenance is not the same as preventative. When you know the components and how they function you will know the what each is supposed to do and how it works with others and when it should be serviced. When you learn these you will be able to trouble shoot better when a problem arise's

Sounds to me your bored with what your doing, Just jump into service and get it over with, you cant do service once a week or ride a truck once in a while and think your going to learn some great mystery. Most service work is boring to. Clean a filter, fix a leak, replace a cap...

Guess you are not the most optimistic person to get feed back from... Lol. I'm still stating and maybe I am wrong that anyone doing a service run on a daily basis knows what to look for before they get to the house. I on the other hand know my building inside out, how they function, why they function, but a little more hands on wouldn't hurt. But... I will check into your predictive maintenance and see if I can learn anything new from your concept. Thanks.

I took a course from http://www.afe.org/education/speakersbureauform.cfm and found it very useful even though I work in retail buildings rather than a large admin or plany building. The course covers a wide spectrum of different types of maintenance and the pros and cons of each.

As far as getting more experience..I'm not sure what state your working in but many states require an apprenticeship program, so that you are working under a license holder for a certain number of hours.

Nothin better then getting hands on experience. I say go for it

Guess you are not the most optimistic person to get feed back from... Lol. I'm still stating and maybe I am wrong that anyone doing a service run on a daily basis knows what to look for before they get to the house. I on the other hand know my building inside out, how they function, why they function, but a little more hands on wouldn't hurt. But... I will check into your predictive maintenance and see if I can learn anything new from your concept. Thanks.
    Notasupertech, let me say that I agree 100% with Dlove in that predictive maintenance is not that same as preventative maintenance. I would have to classify Preventative Maintenance as changing air filter, belts, lubing motors and the basics such as checking pressures. This work is not glamorous.

Predictive Maintenance is a step much further in that you will know that something will fail and make adjustment or replace the components or major equipment before a failure occurs. The most basic example which comes to mind is a motor which is running hot which requires a run capacitor such as a 25 MFD and is only running at say 10 MFD. It has not failed entirely but its performance has degraded. The motor is sure to fail if left unchanged.
    This is an entry level repair.

Or say that you have a 200 ton process chiller with one circuit running at say 5 degrees superheat, make improvements or It will surely fail. This is what makes a true technician valuable.

My question to you is what exactly would you like to learn and where do you see yourself in this field, say in ten years or so. The world of air conditioning is not limited to a 25 ton package unit.