Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876

    according to a broad scientific consensus

    I know, how can it be science if it is only accepted due to scientific consensus, science is science.

    But that being said, Scientists to unveil proof of ‘God particle’, well sort of.

    This is as big as the, well, big bang theory: Scientists working at the world's largest atom smasher say they have enough evidence of the long-sought-after Higgs boson.

    To the layman, the Higgs boson is the "God particle" and a key puzzle piece in the scientific explanation of the origin of the universe.
    I know I will have trouble sleeping tonight in anticipation of tomorrows announcement. Lets face it, how often does the key to the universe come knocking? Funny them making the discovery at the end of the Mayan calendar.

    Its formal discovery, according to a broad scientific consensus, would be the greatest advance in knowledge of the universe in decades and a key to confirming the standard model of physics that explains what gives mass to matter and, by extension, how the universe was formed, according to the AP.
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/looko...165431909.html
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    968
    Soon this will lead to the discovery of many God particles. OMG!.
    Never argue with a crazy man.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    I know, how can it be science if it is only accepted due to scientific consensus, science is science.

    But that being said, Scientists to unveil proof of ‘God particle’, well sort of.



    I know I will have trouble sleeping tonight in anticipation of tomorrows announcement. Lets face it, how often does the key to the universe come knocking? Funny them making the discovery at the end of the Mayan calendar.



    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/looko...165431909.html
    God/Gods train to Unecessaryville speeds up.
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

    Chapman Cohen

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Paper Street Soap Company
    Posts
    2,304
    Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    God/Gods train to Unecessaryville speeds up.
    ...on an endless rail Geery.

    I wouldn't pop the corks yet. Discovery of the God particle nither confirms or denies the existence of God.

    20 bux Obama gets the Nobel Prize for this....

    LOL !!!

    That was funny

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    I wouldn't pop the corks yet. Discovery of the God particle nither confirms or denies the existence of God.
    Ding, ding. Sorry, wrong answer.

    I would suggest you go back to celebrity trivia in the next round.
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

    Chapman Cohen

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    I don't understand. I thought there would be dancing in the streets.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    985
    These guys are going to screw around and discover how to ignite a chain reaction which blows us all up.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    5,462
    Come On now. If you had been looking for something for 50 years and got very close wouldn't you be excited?
    I guess it's because we don't understand it's importance.
    We forget that the understanding of Newtonian physics paved the way for the industrial revolution.
    It used to be religious priests explained the unknown but now they preach social reform.
    Today the High Priests are particle physicists.
    Imbrace the Quark!!
    Tracers work both ways.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    4,355
    If you read the reports, they still have a long way to go to confirm its the Higgs particle. Still, they did find a "new" particle. Is it actually the "God" particle? No one really knows, yet.
    The last paragraph of a recent AP news story sums it up:

    CERN described the particle as a possible "bridge to understanding the 96 per cent of our universe that remains obscure," a reference to the fact that the matter that we can see represents only about four per cent of all matter in the universe.

    Still much remains unknown. Mankind really hasn't evolved much from the caveman days. In other words, we are as clueless now and we were then on what really is happening around us.
    "Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better"
    -Pat Riley

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by whec720 View Post
    If you read the reports, they still have a long way to go to confirm its the Higgs particle. Still, they did find a "new" particle. Is it actually the "God" particle? No one really knows, yet.
    The last paragraph of a recent AP news story sums it up:

    CERN described the particle as a possible "bridge to understanding the 96 per cent of our universe that remains obscure," a reference to the fact that the matter that we can see represents only about four per cent of all matter in the universe.

    Still much remains unknown. Mankind really hasn't evolved much from the caveman days. In other words, we are as clueless now and we were then on what really is happening around us.
    One day we might even get to say 'Warp speed ahead.' and really mean it.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event