Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

What's the best all around headlight?

I'm tied to my headlight. I work outside at night all the time at home and am in attics and crawl spaces daily. I've got several different lights and people give me different ones all the time but none last more than a short time.

Can anyone shed some light on which headlights if any are an industry standard?

Something not to heavy, not too bulky, bright as all get and that that preferably takes a standard battery, different than a "watch size" battery.

Multipositional is obviously a plus.

No Lowes or Home Depot models please.

Thanks in advance.
    I love the struggle.

Surefire Saint. Takes 123s or AAs with the battery pack on the back. Lifetime warranty and quick service when needed. It is a bit costly but the best thing out there IMO.

Dorcy- I have had it over a year and still in great shape , very durable

Without question it is Zebraligt.

If you are looking for a headlamp for close up work(illuminating things within 4ft) get an "F" model. Great for crawlspace/attic work.

This is the AA model
    good
    http://www.zebralight.com/H51F-AA-Fl...lamp_p_44.html

better
    http://www.zebralight.com/H502w-AA-F...ite_p_108.html

best
    http://www.zebralight.com/H502d-High...lamp_p_96.html

If you want to step up to rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries, this is the RCR123: more output, longer runtime

http://www.zebralight.com/H31Fw-Floo...hite_p_52.html

If you want to go with 18650 batteries to get the longest runtime and output
    http://www.zebralight.com/H600F-Floo...ombo_p_87.html

They are coming out with an H602 which will be like the H600 above. But instead of a frosted lens to make a flood beam pattern, it uses a bare emitter without a reflector like the H502. This actually makes for a better more even flood light. It should be out in a month or two. I have to older version of this light, the H60. It is a perfect headlamp for our type of work. It just makes a wall of light without a spot. If you want a spot, Zebralight makes a bunch of headlamps in all the battery types with standard reflectors and clear lenses.

If you go with the RCR123 or 18650 battery versions you will have to invest in 2-4 batteries and a charger. I personally think doing this is worth the initial expense, but the AA version is a very good choice, too.
    In 1959, Cuba wanted "CHANGE" too.

Awesome replies fellas. Didn't expect to have such good input. This is another reason why I love this place.
    I love the struggle.

I have the zebralight h31 flood with the high CRI bulb, makes it easier for me to identify colors on wires and stuff. It's a great light, especially working close.
    Whatever light you choose though pay attention to the strap. Even some expensive headlamps use low quality material in the strap that loses its elasticity and falls apart quickly.

I have the DeWalt head lamp. So far it has out lasted my streamlight.

I was wondering the same thing and got to wondering who would know best. I ended up googling a caving forum and found this headlight highly recommended. I ordered one and it arrived quick but now im waiting on the odd ball batteries, 18650. luckily the batteries are cheap and rechargeable. the light has a zoom feature that focuses/spreads the light

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360674504513...84.m1439.l2649

Nice headlamp. With 1200 lumens, that's what you will have, a headlamp, lol. 75-85 Watt equivalent.

The 18650 batteries are pretty good. They last a really long time, have good power to it too, and nice milliamps.

the batteries came in and theres no way its 1200 lumens. my 800 lumen jetbeam flashlight is brighter, BUT the light spread on the headlamp cant be beat. the spread covers a 8' wall when standing about 15' away, or it can be focused down to about the size of a volleyball. also the position settings are very firm, theres no wobble at all. its not the best in the world, but for about $27 including batteries and charger, I feel its well worth the investment

I still like my 104/52 lumen dewalt headlamp. 3 AAA batteries to run it, and I use rechargeables. When I'm up there, I don't want to get blinded by light reflecting back at me from the equipment, shorts on circuitry boards are seen better in dimmer lighting at close range rather than a bright one. And as far as checking the duct work, I just use my DeWalt 12v max, lol.

Yeah I know, I like DeWalt, lol.

PETZL PIXA 3R Pro Headlamp.

Multi-beam, waterproof, durable.

'Industrial grade'.....most rugged lamp out there.....a bit large & heavy.

Spend the $$$ and get the rechargeable unit. So far, this is the best one

I've found.

Fenix HL21 headlamp. Uses one AA battery.

I always carry the Fenix E11 in my pocket. It also uses one AA battery. Oh yea, I carry a spare battery too.

Buy both thru Amazon

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast