Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bseliger View Post
    Im fairly new to refrigeration, so im not trying to come off as coarse. Just tryn to find the right way to do things.

Headmaster valve? Are you refering to a TXV?

The way ive been taught is to fill the sight glass and if its cooling down to its appropriate level its good.

I dont wanna do things incorrectly, thats just not who I am
    We all started out knowing nothing. Just be patient and keep leaning on the people on this site for guidance.

Thanks JP, is that formula and chart for charging any cooler or freezer?

Print 90-30-1, laminate that SOB and store it in your clipboard.

Or, move into the modern age and download it to your smartphone and keep it in your pocket.

Very handy chart to have.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    We all started out knowing nothing. Just be patient and keep leaning on the people on this site for guidance.
    We start knowing nothing, then, we gain a small amount of knowledge and all too many think that they then know it all.

Once we realize that we'll never know enough, then we're on the path to true learning.

Thanks JP, is that formula and chart for charging any cooler or freezer?
    Any condensing unit with a headmaster

It isn't as simple as it sounds at first. Study it, then ask questions about it.

Thats what I thought. What would be an appropriate way to charge a walk in cooler or freezer with just a txv? Where on sporlan's website should I try to find this information?

Thats what I thought. What would be an appropriate way to charge a walk in cooler or freezer with just a txv? Where on sporlan's website should I try to find this information?
    You already have them.

90-30-1 is what you need.

Sit down and read that stuff.

Go to sporlanonline.com, click the literature tab, then browse what's there. A TON of good info.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    We start knowing nothing, then, we gain a small amount of knowledge and all too many think that they then know it all.

Once we realize that we'll never know enough, then we're on the path to true learning.
    Most of us get humbled pretty often, that's one of the things I enjoy about it. Thinking you know a lot, only to get one that makes you realize you actually know very little

Maybe ive just got a bad case of the stupids from working in the heat all day, but the sporlan 90-30-1 link was for charging a system with a headmaster.

Shouldnt there be a different chart for charging just a simple condensing unit without a headmaster?

Maybe ive just got a bad case of the stupids from working in the heat all day, but the sporlan 90-30-1 link was for charging a system with a headmaster.

Shouldnt there be a different chart for charging just a simple condensing unit without a headmaster?
    Clear the glass...

If im staring at a sight glass by the condensing unit and the box is lets say, 30 feet down the way and 20 feet vertical. How is it that clearing the glass 50 feet away ensures a solid column of liquid to the metering device?

If im staring at a sight glass by the condensing unit and the box is lets say, 30 feet down the way and 20 feet vertical. How is it that clearing the glass 50 feet away ensures a solid column of liquid to the metering device?
    YOu don't need a sight glass.....listen to the TXV and it'll 'tell you' when it's a solid column of liquid....regardless of line length, static loss, dynamic loss etc.....
    It'll go as quiet as can be....
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

This is a common installation manual that I find with all the condensing units I install. Has lots of good info such as line set sizing, flooded condenser charging, and lots of other good stuff. Of course you can't use the charging chart for other units because that depends on what size receiver they have on the system, but if your btu's are close to the units on this chart I bet it will get you pretty close. And I use the line set sizing chart for just about all walk-ins I install.
    http://69.41.183.10/documents/Russell_SYS_IOM_550_1.pdf

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast