Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Am I starting to sound like you too much jp?

All the units I've ever installed that run a flooded condenser have a additional charge chart in the installation manual. If charging when it's hot or just mild outside your supposed to charge to a full sight glass and then weigh in the extra charge according to the manual for that condensing unit. It has never failed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bseliger View Post
    The only thing I noticed wrong, maybe I need to be educated, is that for a blend refrigerant you cant charge as gas and you would add charge prior to intial start up on high side. Let system equalize, start unit and then bleed liquid into the low side.
    Yellow jacket makes a good simple tool called a liquid charge. All it is is an orifice that you screw onto your refrigerant tank. So instead of trying to throttle your refrigerant in through your gages you can put that on and never have to worry about flooding your compressor when charging.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Am I starting to sound like you too much jp?
    You say that like it's a bad thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Flip14 View Post
    All the units I've ever installed that run a flooded condenser have a additional charge chart in the installation manual. If charging when it's hot or just mild outside your supposed to charge to a full sight glass and then weigh in the extra charge according to the manual for that condensing unit. It has never failed me.

Yellow jacket makes a good simple tool called a liquid charge. All it is is an orifice that you screw onto your refrigerant tank. So instead of trying to throttle your refrigerant in through your gages you can put that on and never have to worry about flooding your compressor when charging.
    I've never seen a chart on a unit like that. I use the Sporlan 90-30-1 chart.

Liquid chargers are, IMO, largely useless.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing....
    Not at all,it's actually fun!

Liquid chargers are, IMO, largely useless.
    Agreed, meter with your gauges and don't get carried away.....good to go.

Im fairly new to refrigeration, so im not trying to come off as coarse. Just tryn to find the right way to do things.

Headmaster valve? Are you refering to a TXV?

The way ive been taught is to fill the sight glass and if its cooling down to its appropriate level its good.

I dont wanna do things incorrectly, thats just not who I am

Most people don't even open the installation manual of a new condensing unit. But it's in there. As a matter of fact there is a lot of useful info in those manuals such as how to size your line set according to your btu's and evap temp and refrigerant. They also give you a lot of info of that piticular brand unit. But like I said most people don't even glance at them, they think they know more than the manufacturer.

Im fairly new to refrigeration, so im not trying to come off as coarse. Just tryn to find the right way to do things.

A head master is a valve that controls your head pressure in low ambient conditions by letting hot gas bypass the condenser and go into the receiver.

They usually maintain a head pressure around 180psig. They are used in what we call a flooded condenser.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip14 View Post
    Most people don't even open the installation manual of a new condensing unit. But it's in there. As a matter of fact there is a lot of useful info in those manuals such as how to size your line set according to your btu's and evap temp and refrigerant. They also give you a lot of info of that piticular brand unit. But like I said most people don't even glance at them, they think they know more than the manufacturer.
    I've read every manual with every condensing unit I've ever serviced.

Still haven't seen one.

The way ive been taught is to fill the sight glass and if its cooling down to its appropriate level its good.

I dont wanna do things incorrectly, thats just not who I am
    http://sporlanonline.com/Form90-198.pdf

http://sporlanonline.com/90-30.pdf

http://sporlanonline.com/90-30-1.pdf

Some light reading for ya on headmasters.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I've read every manual with every condensing unit I've ever serviced.

Still haven't seen one.
    I don't know what to tell you then. The units I usually put in are Russell, climate controll, bohn.

Is there a method to charging a walk in cooler or freezer on intial setup beyond just filling to the sight glass and calling it good? Ive looked on sporlan's website and cant seem to easily find the information that you guys dig up.

Is there a method to charging a walk in cooler or freezer on intial setup beyond just filling to the sight glass and calling it good? Ive looked on sporlan's website and cant seem to easily find the information that you guys dig up.
    Read the links that I just posted for you.

The third link explains the charging procedure.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast