Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

List of union contractors? (FL area)

So things haven't exactly went my way recently with some job applications and now for the time being, the UA is still a possibility with interviews being done this month. I was just curious to know if there is a list somewhere that shows which contractors are union within the central Florida area because I was thinking about contacting some of them and informing them about my plans, specifically with the UA. Not sure that it would make a difference but, it can't hurt to try I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigjoe View Post
    So things haven't exactly went my way recently with some job applications and now for the time being, the UA is still a possibility with interviews being done this month. I was just curious to know if there is a list somewhere that shows which contractors are union within the central Florida area because I was thinking about contacting some of them and informing them about my plans, specifically with the UA. Not sure that it would make a difference but, it can't hurt to try I guess.

What local?

Are you near Jax? If your trying to get in an apprenticeship, try NEFBA. It is not a union deal, but it is a dept of education sponsored deal.

Quote Originally Posted by FixItRight View Post
    What local?
    If the OP is near Orlando, it's probably Local 803. If more towards Tampa, Local 123. I think there's one in Daytona also, but I don't know much about them.

To the OP, try Emcor MSI on Satellite Blvd. in Orlando. They're a good union company.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

What local?

Quote Originally Posted by jvillehvac View Post
    Are you near Jax? If your trying to get in an apprenticeship, try NEFBA. It is not a union deal, but it is a dept of education sponsored deal.
    I'm more in the Orlando area but I checked out their site and they won't be taking any new apprentices until next year unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    If the OP is near Orlando, it's probably Local 803. If more towards Tampa, Local 123. I think there's one in Daytona also, but I don't know much about them.

To the OP, try Emcor MSI on Satellite Blvd. in Orlando. They're a good union company.
    Thanks for the heads up. Its funny you mention that because I overheard someone in class today speak about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigjoe View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Its funny you mention that because I overheard someone in class today speak about them.
    If it is anything like the union I was in if you get hired by a union contractor you are good. You don't need to be in the apprenticeship to get a job.After you start working then you just go to the union hall and find out what you need to do.

That's pretty much the way it works in FL. Get hired by a contractor first, and they will help you get in. It's not for everyone, but it can be a good experience.

-Thomas Jefferson

check the UA site www.ua.org hit the link.... some of the locals list contractors down there
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px5YcOeQB4I

If it is anything like the union I was in if you get hired by a union contractor you are good. You don't need to be in the apprenticeship to get a job.After you start working then you just go to the union hall and find out what you need to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    That's pretty much the way it works in FL. Get hired by a contractor first, and they will help you get in. It's not for everyone, but it can be a good experience.
    Yea that was really what I was trying to go for. I contacted EMCOR earlier this year about any entry level type positions, not realizing they were union, and was pretty much told to just keep checking their careers page regularly. Having just learned they were union, I contacted them last night and informed them about the upcoming interviews going on so hopefully I might catch a break with that.

Quote Originally Posted by maxster
    check the UA site www.ua.org hit the link.... some of the locals list contractors down there
    Of course 803 would be the only one who doesn't have a site. It seems like everyone but Orlando and Daytona (which doesn't even work) has a list of contractors. Some luck huh lol I really wish the locals around here had more information available online. Miami's site was nice

You may have better luck going through the local management. I could give you some more info off the radar if you put an e-mail address in your profile.

-Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

No problem. Good luck. Check your e-mail.

-Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast