Hybrid View

5ton 14 and 95/115

Almost finished up the install on this "little" system this afternoon. 5 ton Goodman and 115/95 Goodman, 3 zones, 7 dampeners, humidifier, UV Light, and a EAC.

Ran out of 2"-3" PVC Adapters, So we will be back to finish this one up

2nd pic not so pretty but we were workin on wiring/troubleshooting the zoning control board at the time

Goodman zoning?

5 ton, we always try to pull through the side of the cabinet and the bottom. Set it up on a base box. Or through both sides.

Zoning is handled through a separate zoning control, attached to the Return which makes the calls to the furnace board and activates the dampeners.

I guess Im not sure what you mean Jim on the 2nd part.

I mean, at best you have a 16x25 hole in the side of the furnace. 5 tons is a ****load of air to try and suck through a 16x25 media filter. So we Put the furnace up on a 6" tall box and cut the side of the box, as well as the side and bottom of the furnace out. Then mount a 20x25 filter on the side.

Or if ducting allows pull through both sides with 2 media filters mounted on it.

Like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sure a tangled mess o'wires in that poor Goodman.

We have a zoned 5 ton we're fighting. When we changed the furnace, the salesman didn't call for proper return and the installer didn't do it. The DATS has the A/C off so much due to cold supply it wasn't cooling the house. We added a resistor to the DATS to throw it off a bit since the panel only goes to 45 low limit. New versions of the same panel go to 40.

he was referring to the return. a 5 ton drive has a two sided blower and you will be short on return air only going in one side. If you bring the return in thru the bottom or both sides you will get better air flow.

Alright I got ya.This was my first 5ton and It wasn't whistling. So I assume its getting enough CFM's.

But I will keep that in mind next time Im installing a system this big. Thanks for the heads up Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by cavitech View Post
    Alright I got ya.This was my first 5ton and It wasn't whistling. So I assume its getting enough CFM's.

But I will keep that in mind next time Im installing a system this big. Thanks for the heads up Jim!