Thread: H-10g questions

H-10g questions

My H10-PM has been sent in for repairs.

I bought a H10-G to use while the other one is out.

Not sure if it will end up being main unit or backup.

Now, regarding the operation of this unit.

A: The ball will move ever so slightly when turned on and probe is held vertical facing down. It moves more if probe is angled slightly. Is this a problem? I have already changed the filter.

B: The balance knob. Is it that touchy? Or is this what everyone means when they say there is a learning curve to using it? The H10-PM was easy to get used to compared to this. This thing is wicked sensitive. I'm trying to get a feel for the unit using a drier that came out of a R409A unit. WOW!

C: As far as using it, am I correct that I need to read the instructions a lot, be patient, set the balance for a few "beeps" per second, practice, and be patient using the tool and practice some more?

Any other tips are appreciated.

Enjoy the holiday.

I just got m h-10pm and the ball doesn't seem to float when facing down but it does respond to the test vial. I just want to make sure this is normal since I just got it.

Quote Originally Posted by 76olds View Post
    My H10-PM has been sent in for repairs.

I bought a H10-G to use while the other one is out.

Not sure if it will end up being main unit or backup.

Now, regarding the operation of this unit.

A: The ball will move ever so slightly when turned on and probe is held vertical facing down. It moves more if probe is angled slightly. Is this a problem? I have already changed the filter.

B: The balance knob. Is it that touchy? Or is this what everyone means when they say there is a learning curve to using it? The H10-PM was easy to get used to compared to this. This thing is wicked sensitive. I'm trying to get a feel for the unit using a drier that came out of a R409A unit. WOW!

C: As far as using it, am I correct that I need to read the instructions a lot, be patient, set the balance for a few "beeps" per second, practice, and be patient using the tool and practice some more?

Any other tips are appreciated.

Enjoy the holiday.
    I believe that the red ball is just for checking that the pump is working. Even if the ball is all the way towards the tip when held in a vertical position like you described it has no effect on the operation of the unit. The attachment is from Bacharach.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I had the same issue with the red ball not floating. I called Bacharach tech support and they told me not to worry about it. I told them if I shouldn't worry about it they should take out of their instructions that its important that the red ball floats. I ended up returning it and got another one. The red ball doesn't float in that one either.
    But the detector does seem to work. They should get their act together if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    I had the same issue with the red ball not floating. I called Bacharach tech support and they told me not to worry about it. I told them if I shouldn't worry about it they should take out of their instructions that its important that the red ball floats. I ended up returning it and got another one. The red ball doesn't float in that one either.
    But the detector does seem to work. They should get their act together if you ask me.
    I also talked with tech support and got a little better answer than you did.

"The manual for the H10 PM is currently under revision but the correct way to test for proper pump flow is to point the Probe downward toward the floor. Place your finger over the end of the probe to block the airflow and then release your finger from the probe. The red ball should rise inside the clear probe end as shown. The red ball may stay elevated or it may return to the end of the clear probe end but as long as it initially rises the pump flow is good.

The pump flow is not blocked by the Red ball when it is at the end of the clear probe tip."

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I believe that the red ball is just for checking that the pump is working. Even if the ball is all the way towards the tip when held in a vertical position like you described it has no effect on the operation of the unit. The attachment is from Bacharach.
    Thank you for posting the attachment. I checked it that way, it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I also talked with tech support and got a little better answer than you did.

"The manual for the H10 PM is currently under revision but the correct way to test for proper pump flow is to point the Probe downward toward the floor. Place your finger over the end of the probe to block the airflow and then release your finger from the probe. The red ball should rise inside the clear probe end as shown. The red ball may stay elevated or it may return to the end of the clear probe end but as long as it initially rises the pump flow is good.

The pump flow is not blocked by the Red ball when it is at the end of the clear probe tip."
    Thank you that was very helpful! I did what they told you and mine worked fine. You and whoever you spoke with at tech support seems alot better than who I spoke with.

I'm so glad to hear its operating properly. I Really didn't want to have to send it back.

newoldtech

FYI the floating ball is a desiccant bead. it absorbs moisture before it gets to innards, that is why it needs to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by 76olds View Post

B: Yep. In "small" leak mode, the balance knob is VERY sensitive. It can be a bear to get it settled in.

C: Practice, practice, practice.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    B: Yep. In "small" leak mode, the balance knob is VERY sensitive. It can be a bear to get it settled in.

C: Practice, practice, practice.
    tell me about it...shhheeeesh!