Portable A/C for Upstairs as a Supplement

Hi Experts,

This may be a little off topic but I am considering buying one of those portable "condensateless" units for the upstairs bedroom which is always about 8-10 degrees warmer than downstairs. The afternoon sun just bakes it like a oven.

The room is about 240 sq ft and I am considering a 12,000 BTU model, single vent hose type. I've read several user reviews which always seem to have mixed feelings - not enough cooling, too loud, vent hose too short, condensate drips onto floor instead of evaporating, etc, etc. But in the end, most of the users say it's better than it was without the unit.

Most of them seem pretty expensive ($450- $550) for what you're actually getting but the upstairs bedroom definitely needs some help. So, my questions are: is 12000 BTU enough, is dual hose really better than single,
    does one brand stand out as better than most others, will it drop the bedroom temp from 85+ deg to maybe 75 deg so we can sleep, etc.

If anyone has any thoughts on this approach, I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks in advance...

Do you have knee walls up there? Sealing air leaks and improving insulation always beats buying equipment and paying for the energy to use them. That temperature difference could be due also to where your t-stat is located. If you only have one system and the stat is downstairs, your bedroom can easily get warmer than downstairs-especially with two people in the room. Leaving the fan in the "on" position will use more energy, but it could help. A ceiling fan directly over the bed also helps.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Definitely 2 hose. Otherwise you are sucking large quantities of cold air out of the house and forcing the same large quantities of hot, steamy air to infiltrate. ON a hot day, you could end up with a heat gain instead of cooling the room.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Definitely 2 hose. Otherwise you are sucking large quantities of cold air out of the house and forcing the same large quantities of hot, steamy air to infiltrate. ON a hot day, you could end up with a heat gain instead of cooling the room.
    I second this statement! I currently have a 12k single hose and it barely keeps up in a 120sq ft room. It seems like most of it's cooling power is sucked right out the condenser hose.

A 2 hose is much better ,or get a window unit