New system on its way. EAC; wht vendor to select

Howdy.
    Getting bids for a 2.5 ton Heatpump, with electric elements. Shooting for 15 to 16 SEER.
    I like Carrier; one of my early :"jobs" was riding along with my father on service calls. He taught HVAC at the local Community Collage; and I picked up a lot VIA osmosis
    I understand Carrier shipped their operation to Mexico; and it bit them in the arse. I may be looking to Trane or if I get a smoking deal on Goodman.. I may bite. I know they use commodity compressors, and their coils are domestic, copper core with Aluminium fins.
    I am replacing a Carrier tech-2000 from 1993. EER for cooling, 12.10. I am assuming this is comparable to "SEER"? My AC bills in summer only run about 120.00..

OK; to my question.

House: One story, 1500 SQ foot. 3 rooms. 4 registers in the great room\ kitchen. One in each bedroom.
    AH in attic; horizontal. 24 X 24 paper filter at floor level in hallway. Return air passage to attic is very large.
    2.5 TON, and it seems to be sized properly. I am not looking to a 3 ton, as I dont want humidity issues.

The Carrier system still works; but my Evap is plugged. My cleaning has not yielded results and its probably time to replace the AH anyway. Low head, low tepms in the evap; and the system has never leaked down. 2 contractors diagnosed the same.
    I assume there is pet fur in the coil; so am asking my contractors to bid a Static Precipitator.

Any brands to avoid? No reason to spec a 2000 CFM unit if I have the room?

Thanx in advance. It is appreciated.

What are you electric rates? IF your peak bill is only $120 now, you might only need 2 tons.

Have you had a load calculaton done?

No reason pet hair should get past even a MERV 7 filter in a properly install return air grill on a properly sealed return plenum.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    What are you electric rates? IF your peak bill is only $120 now, you might only need 2 tons.

Rates here are pretty reasonalble. And the bigger reasoin is I keep my unit on 83 in the summer and have very good insulation, solar screens, attic fan, unobstructed soffit vents ECT..

I looked a speccing 2 ton; but if I sold the house a home inspector would probably "guess" that it was undersized.

Have you had a load calculaton done? No. see above.

No reason pet hair should get past even a MERV 7 filter in a properly install return air grill on a properly sealed return plenum.
    I see I am not sure why the core is plugged, but I can see it is as I tried myself to clean it. I've been in this house since 97; and I am probably opn my 2nd case of 24X24 filters.

We dont have allergies; but we use precipitator in my line of business and they rock. I figured a mesh in the grate and a EAC would be "sure" it stayed clean.