iComfort Wi-Fi - new option "Load Tracking Variable Capacity"

Hi everyone,

I just swapped my iComfort for the new iComfort Wi-Fi. It now has an additional option for SLP98V staging. Previously it was "staged" and "variable capacity". Now it also includes "Load Tracking Variable Capacity".

Does anyone know what this new option does? It is the default method but an explanation of how it operates is not included in the installer manual.

Thanks

Sounds more like marketing stuff to me. Any of the Honeywell 8000 Sereis thermostats which use PID loop control could be described as "load tracking" since their logic inherently responds to changes in loads... or rather the rate of change of hte home gaining or losing heat.

It looks like it may actually allow the SLP to modulate up and down on the fly. I won't really be able to test until the winter but below is what it says in the installers manual:

iComfort Wi-Fi
    SLP98 variable capacity furnaces BTU’s firing rates can be incremented by
    as little as 1% (35% to 100% range available) as the thermostat may dictate.
    The thermostat monitors room temperature, previous heat cycle times, and
    target setpoint to determine the starting firing rate, and any required firing
    rate increases or decreases during the thermostat demand.

iComfort Touch (no wi-fi)
    SLP98 variable capacity furnaces BTU’s firing rates can be incremented by
    as little as 1% (35% to 100% range available) as the thermostat algorithm
    may dictate. The thermostat monitors room temperature, previous heat
    cycle times, and target set point to determine the starting firing rate, and any
    required firing rate increases during the thermostat demand.

Nearly all communicating thermostats with modulating furnaces do this now. Even a 2 stage furnace or AC will change capacity on the fly. That's why I read it as mostly marketing verbage. The regular iComfort should have done the same. But I'm not a lennox expert.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Nearly all communicating thermostats with modulating furnaces do this now. Even a 2 stage furnace or AC will change capacity on the fly. That's why I read it as mostly marketing verbage. The regular iComfort should have done the same. But I'm not a lennox expert.
    Regular iComfort definitely does not modulate down.

Any Lennox pros out there able to confirm if the SLP98V can now modulate down with the iComfort Wi-Fi?

Bump - any Lennox pros out there?

Just received a call from Lennox in Dallas. Spoke to a very knowledgeable guy over there who confirmed my suspicions that the "Load Tracking Variable Capacity" option now turns the SLP98V into a fully modulating (both up and down) furnace.

Will be great to see how it performs in the winter.

... now if only they would come up with some zone controls to support the iComfort Wi-Fi that can match the Carrier offering.

I know it's an old thread, but yes the Load Tracking Variable Capacity that is offered in the icomfort is a big improvement from the non wifi icomfort. The non wifi icomfort doesn't truly modulate the furnace. It's basically just 'fancy' staging. The new Load Tracking Variable Capacity allows the SLP98 to work to it's full potential and is fully modulating. It modulates in increments of as low as 1%, and will modulate the firing rate down as it gets closer to the set point to achieve longer run times. As it gets further away from setpoint it will increase the firing rate. With the non wifi icomfort, it would only modulate up, in 4 stages. It would modulate up and run until satisfied, never modulating down. It'd use it's algorithm to recalculate the firing rate for the next run cycle, based on the previous run cycle. So the new icomfort is a big improvement over the non wifi icomfort, and the Load Tracking Variable Capacity is not a marketing ploy, it's a true improvement. I'm curious if you were pleased with the difference in operation this winter. Your SLP98 won't be gimped anymore. Unfortunately, it only works on the SLP98 and not the G71. My customers were extremely pleased with the operation.

Edit: And as far as the zone controls go, my Lennox tech rep said that the next Harmony board is in the works and will be communicating and compatible with the icomfort and have features on par with the Carrier Infinity system. I look forward to when that's available.

Im suprised the other mfgs have surrendered the modulating residential zone system to carrier for so long. Maybe its more of a niche market and not worth the r&d expense. As mentioned it reqires a controller to respond proportionally not a thermostat to work well.

My only infinity complaint is lack of time of use equipment staging optimization using dual fuel. Seems like you could monitor outdoor humidity and plug in equipment efficiency profiles, then add you tou electrric rates and it selects the most efficient energy source.

But ultimately its focus if comfort first, as All the higher end equipment should be. Customers will be happier with performance over that last $10 they might save pn a bill.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2