Shameless product plug (USB <-> Serial)

Shameless product plug (USB <-> Serial)

I see a lot of people that have issues with USB <-> Serial adapters. I just figured I would share with everyone else what I use and maybe others can chime in here.

I purchased one of S2 Squared's S2USB485 adapters while I was working for a company that will remain nameless but pretty much owns the N2 protocol. I could not get the edgeport adapter I had previously to work with the laptop I had at the time or the CVTPRO I had either. The S2 adapter worked great for connecting to any N2 device I needed to.

But one of the side benefits is the serial adapter on the thing is bulletproof. I have been able to connect to every single piece of equipment I've ever tried with and with multiple laptops and desktops. I've used it on DX's, Liebert intellislots, Turborcor compressors, serial shell into Jace's, Alerton BCM's, Alerton Apex's APS UPS's, and a ton of other random equipment RS-232 ports that I've had absolutely no business getting my unqualified hacking fingers into. I would suggest to anyone in the controls or equipment field to grab one. Between that adapter and the B&B USBOPTL4 (I think that's what it's called) I can get into just about anything I've come across in my market.

I just wanted to throw that out there. I see quite a few guys on here that seem to have problems with their usb to serial adapters and I figured that I would share and give the adapter a thumbs up. Hope this is not an inappropriate post, but helps some people out.

Thanks for the info. I will certainly try one of these out!

2444 Washington Blvd, Suite 100 Ogden, UT
    There's nothing at all wrong with sharing a good idea or a good experience. Thanks for the tip.
    Steve Jones
    Managing Partner
    The S4 Group, Inc.

2444 Washington Blvd, Suite 100 Ogden, UT
    Quote Originally Posted by noskilltech View Post
    I see a lot of people that have issues with USB <-> Serial adapters. I just figured I would share with everyone else what I use and maybe others can chime in here.

I purchased one of S2 Squared's S2USB485 adapters while I was working for a company that will remain nameless but pretty much owns the N2 protocol. I could not get the edgeport adapter I had previously to work with the laptop I had at the time or the CVTPRO I had either. The S2 adapter worked great for connecting to any N2 device I needed to.

But one of the side benefits is the serial adapter on the thing is bulletproof. I have been able to connect to every single piece of equipment I've ever tried with and with multiple laptops and desktops. I've used it on DX's, Liebert intellislots, Turborcor compressors, serial shell into Jace's, Alerton BCM's, Alerton Apex's APS UPS's, and a ton of other random equipment RS-232 ports that I've had absolutely no business getting my unqualified hacking fingers into. I would suggest to anyone in the controls or equipment field to grab one. Between that adapter and the B&B USBOPTL4 (I think that's what it's called) I can get into just about anything I've come across in my market.

I just wanted to throw that out there. I see quite a few guys on here that seem to have problems with their usb to serial adapters and I figured that I would share and give the adapter a thumbs up. Hope this is not an inappropriate post, but helps some people out.
    We just purchased a few of these and eveluated them in our test lab. A review is published in our current newsletter. Let me know if you need a copy. Our integration partners have been asking for a way to validate the N2 bus and recordd the results. The S2USB485, plus the FREE S2USB485DIAG utility provides this capability very nicely as well as a good converter for use with HVAC Pro and GX-9100. Our North American integration partners can purchase the S2USB485 from The S4 Group.
    Steve Jones
    Managing Partner
    The S4 Group, Inc.

Good day all,

Thank you for the kinds words, as they are most appreciated! We try our best to offer the best device we can manufacture as well as maintaining support and compliance (with JCI's software tools) of the device with the variety of Windows O/S's that exist and emerge . We are not perfect, but that is the target.

Cheers,

Sam